turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gg122-

How do I save and exit to finish later?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
ErinH
Intuit Alumni

Select My Account (top right), then select Save & Sign-Out. I've included a screen shot below.

BradW61

There is no My Account showing anywhere on programs interface, so your answer does not help me. All I want to do is save and exit so I can come back to program.

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

The instructions posted were for the desktop version of the software. If you are using TurboTax Online, the program automatically saves as you progress through the software. There is no need to take additional steps to save your progress. When you log back in, you will be able to pick up where you left off.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Those answers still doesn't work for me. I am starting my 2020 tax year tax return. I always use the paid for, Desktop version, not the Online version, and there is no "My Account" menu on my screen either.  Or is it different now on the year-2020 software?

@Mr-DJ   Are you on Windows or Mac?  The Desktop program is still the same way.  For Windows go up to FILE - SAVE or SAVE AS.  Mac Automatically saves and you can go up to the Apple Bar at the top and do Duplicate or Save (don't know what Mac is using now).

My Account is only for the Online browser versions.    

Windows 10, fully updated. I am used to seeing a button that says something like ‘save and resume later’. With the normal SAVE & SAVE AS, I thought it would just have me save to my pc like a normal file, and not actually save/close the app - leaving it in a proper state for resuming where I left off. And I could not find any instructions that address that.

Thanks for your your help stepping in to answer my question so promptly. (Wasn’t sure I’d get ANY answer since it is an old posting). - DJ

Are you ok now?  I haven't got my Windows Home & Business program yet.  I don't think it ever said Save and Resume.  It has always been Save or Save As.  There are several ways to save on Windows.  Like if you close the program by clicking the X in the upper right it should ask if you want to save.  Or if you go to File-New to start another return.

On the Windows Desktop program you have to manually save.  It doesn't automatically save although it should ask if you want to save when you start a new return or exit the program.

Also if your Child's name (or another return) is the same or similar to yours then it might have overwritten your return.  You have to save each return with different names so you can tell them apart.  Like if your name is John and your son is also named John it will save them with the same name so the second one will overwrite the first return.  Go to File-SaveAs and give it a unique name.

Yes - OK now. Did the SAVE AS, then closed and re-opened the program, resumes as expected. Thanks for all the time and info. Have great New Year!

If you go up to File - Save or Save As it should just save to a file ending in .tax2020 in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  But it still should leave your return open to continue working on.  Isn't it doing that?

There is a bug in clicking the X to exit and save. 

Any time you click the X to close out of TurboTax it should ask you if you want to Save, Yes, No or Cancel. I fill in all my data via Step-by-Step for the Federal and State returns, New York State being the one I use. If I go then to look at any New York State form in Form view and then I click on the X to close the Turbo Tax program, I am not asked if I want to save the changes. It closes and all the information I input is gone. If I go in and make a change to a New York State form in form view and then click the X to close the program, it does ask me if I want to save it.

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are experiencing issues, please contact TurboTax by the information listed here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I find you answer to be wrong. I have the desktop turbotax and I can not find the "my account button" so that I can save and exit. Maybe just go to "file" and save there?

My Account is only in the Online web version not the Desktop program.  Read the rest of the thread.  

And This is a new forum layout. Some posts that have June 2019 dates are really older posts from the old forum that got moved over. So they might be for prior years and not current info. When they migrated over the dates got changed to June 2019. And the screen shots got deleted. 

Rgascho

Answer was if I am doing on-line it saves automatically.

Not so for me. 3rd time for me to begin. Getting tired of constant reentry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies