Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

How do i resolve the error "We are sorry, we are having trouble authorizing your credit card..." ?

You may want to clear your cache/cookies or use a different browser if you are using TurboTax Online. If that does not work, you may want to use the Contact Us link below and reach out to TurboTax directly for assistance'

TurboTax Customer Service

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do i resolve the error "We are sorry, we are having trouble authorizing your credit card..." ?

I just went through this in trying to pay the $25 fee for my state e-file. TurboTax is using an unusually sensitive billing address verification process with their credit card processer.

The address on my tax returns has a street name that ends in "Ave". My official billing address ends in "Ave" (I just checked a credit card statement). Anywhere I use my credit card I enter my billing address as "Ave". When I entered my billing address in TurboTax with Ave, it suggests the same address with a 9-digit zip as the official post office address. I tried with both my original entry and their suggested entry. I tried 3 different credit cards. 

Finally, after getting walked through a ton of generic technical fixes that did nothing, I changed the billing address to Avenue. TurboTax asked if I wanted to use the official post office version with Ave instead and I said no. And then it authorized my credit card, because I used Avenue, even though my official billing address AND the address on my tax returns ends in Ave.

If they won't authorize your card, try different variations on your billing address, including using a full version of the street name that isn't the official post office version and isn't the version on your credit card statement and isn't the version on your tax returns, because, why not? Sigh. Waste of an evening.

I tried all this data entry with several different credit cards.

How do I fix this problem?

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Have you tried updating or changing your billing address? If not I would check with your financial institution to verify what address they have on file for you. The address information must match exactly what is at the bank.

Please also be sure you are not using prefilled information saved by the browser and it isn't copy/pasting the information. Clear the fields completely and then re-type the information.

If you continue to experience this issue, please reach out to our TurboTax Customer Care Team by clicking on the following link: What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Skip McK

Make sure your enter credit card info here would match with the original info of your credit card.
Exa. St vs. Street, Ave vs. Avenue, and most important if your credit card info uses 5 digits zip codes then enter 5 digits zip code, not 9 digits zip code.
And later when TurboTax asked if you wanted to use the official post office version instead of your version JUST SAY NO. 🙂

Turbo Tax still does not allow me to use a credit card to pay the $20 Intuit fee.

I changed my address from Dr. to Drive.

That did nothing.

I'm using the Windows desktop version.

Changing my address from Dr. to Drive did nothing.

Got any other ideas?

Stevepei

I posted a solution which worked for me last year. Here I post it again: 

"I had the same problem and solved it.  I file joint return and my wife's name is ahead of mine on all the tax forms including 1040. When I used my credit card to purchase an additional state, the site had problem authorizing the card. I then used my wife's credit card and completed the purchase without any problem. "

The same solution worked for e-filing. 

I have this similar problem today. What I did was open my Credit Card Profile/Address, and copy exactly (100% word by word) that mailing address to the Turbo Tax Payment Info/Billing Address, and voila!       

I did that 2 weeks ago and it did nothing for me.

Turbo Tax needs to update their payment page to accept our credit card information. It's obvious that they shift you out of Turbo Tax software and into an Intuit account page. My credit card worked great to buy the Turbo Tax program. So, why doesn't it work now? 

Come on TurboTax/ Intuit get your act together and fix this glitch in your program!

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you are still having trouble paying for the product fees, please please click here to contact us by phone so we can assist you. 

We are unable to access your account here in this public forum. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
radko
Returning Member

"The problem is TurboTaxes Billing Address Verifier. There here is the weird trick to get passed it. In the address field put in "gibberish" just let your fingers touch random keys Do the same for your city. Your State and Your Zip code should be correct. Put in your credit card info in and process the payment. Hope this helps."

From another user and it worked for me !

the "workaround" is you have to change your billing address to 123 Main St.

As per turbo Tax help line (after 2 hours on hold)

I was having this same issue filing my 2022 taxes with TT Online. I have spent hours on the phone with their customer service and getting bounced around experts - with no solution. Tried different credit cards, different browsers, entirely different computers. Tried changing my address on Intuit.com as well as in TurboTax - but nothing worked. 

But entering gibberish for my address (with the correct sate/zip code) DID work . Hard to believe how dysfunctional Turbo Tax is - never had a company make it so hard to pay them before.

I deleted cheche, allowed all the cookies, used different browser, used Ethernet instead of WIFI .  made sure billing address is the same as my info.  Nothing works.  Please help.  BTW I live in very dense city.  Is it something to do with it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies