Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I just went through this in trying to pay the $25 fee for my state e-file. TurboTax is using an unusually sensitive billing address verification process with their credit card processer.

The address on my tax returns has a street name that ends in "Ave". My official billing address ends in "Ave" (I just checked a credit card statement). Anywhere I use my credit card I enter my billing address as "Ave". When I entered my billing address in TurboTax with Ave, it suggests the same address with a 9-digit zip as the official post office address. I tried with both my original entry and their suggested entry. I tried 3 different credit cards. 

Finally, after getting walked through a ton of generic technical fixes that did nothing, I changed the billing address to Avenue. TurboTax asked if I wanted to use the official post office version with Ave instead and I said no. And then it authorized my credit card, because I used Avenue, even though my official billing address AND the address on my tax returns ends in Ave.

If they won't authorize your card, try different variations on your billing address, including using a full version of the street name that isn't the official post office version and isn't the version on your credit card statement and isn't the version on your tax returns, because, why not? Sigh. Waste of an evening.