turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

how do I proforma my 2020 tax return using by 2019 tax return already in the turbo tax system?

how do I proforma my 2020 tax return using by 2019 tax return already in the turbo tax system?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

can't be done right now because the 2020 return isn't available.  also would need to know if you're using online or desktop. if desktop what operating system (win 7 and certain Apple OS's are not usable for 2020)

If you are using the Online version, do NOT change anything on your return.  You would have to start with a new account and do a test return.  You don't have to pay unless you want to print it out.  

Or Here's the link for the current TaxCaster tool:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

There is one thing you can do in your  current return.  You can go though the Estimated Tax section which will prepare estimated payments for next year.  That may help you calculate what you might owe.  You can just type W4 in the search box at the top of your return , click on Find. Then Click on Jump To and it will take you to the estimated tax payments section. Say no to changing your W-4 and the next screen will start the estimated taxes section.

OR go to

Federal Taxes or Personal (H&B version)

Other Tax Situations

Other Tax Forms

Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

To get back into your return, try this, you can sign back onto your account, and click on Add a State.  This should get you back into your return.

The Desktop installed program could be used.  It can do unlimited returns and has a What-If worksheet.  You can also save and copy a return with another name to test in.

The 2020 Desktop program usually comes out in November and the Online web version opens in December.

RROBINSON123
Returning Member

One step further. I need to proforma from 2019 Deluxe desktop version to 2020 Self-Employed version. Can I do that?

@RROBINSON123  What do you mean proforma?  Do you mean transfer 2019 into 2020?

You will need to have the .tax2019 file on your computer.  If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version, expand the blue link if you used the CD/download last year........

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

If you already started an online return you will have to clear it and start over to transfer.  How to clear and start over

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

If you used the Desktop program before you may not like the online version.  It has less features and no Forms Mode.  You can only do 1 return.  Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2020 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done.  In case you need to amend in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something.  You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies