Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paul Curry
Returning Member

How do I include a W2 and 1099R when I File my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

If you are e-filing your tax return, the tax data from the W-2 and 1099-R is sent electronically with the tax return.  There is no need to mail the forms to the IRS.

If you are printing and mailing the federal tax return (NOT e-filing) then you include a copy of the W-2 and Form 1099-R with the mailed tax return.

Paul Curry
Returning Member

Do I electronically send the W2 and 1099R to the tax agency or does some other agency send them.  Should I scan the documents into my computer and attach them to my tax return?  How does the tax agency get a copy of these documents if I do not send them?

You manually enter them into your tax return.  Then you either efile your tax return to the IRS and state or you can print and mail the tax returns.  If you mail them in yourself you have to attach all W2s and any 1099s that show withholding on them.

How to Efile

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/how-do-i-e-file-my-personal-individual-tax-return/00/2...

Oh, your employer and the 1099 issuer has sent a copy of your forms to the IRS.  The IRS will match them to the your return to make sure you reported them.  

mstoe290

I mailed the return without attaching the 1099R and W2. What do I do to fix that?

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Wait to see if the IRS requests them from you. 

Typically, they'll ask for missing W-2s and 1099-Rs if the combined withholding amounts on those forms is over a certain dollar amount, and you're receiving a refund of a certain dollar amount.

Sending in documents after you've filed your return runs the chance of documents criss-crossing in the mail, and causing confusion for both you and the IRS.

If they don't ask, don't worry about it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies