turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

How do I find out my 5 digit code from last year that they want me to put in

You have a choice to enter last year's PIN OR your AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) from last year's return.

If you have a copy of your 2020 return, find your AGI on Form 1040, Line 11. 

If you do not have a copy of your 2020 tax return you can get one from TurboTax.

Follow thee steps to get a copy of your prior-year tax return.  

Sign in to TurboTax making sure you're using the same TurboTax account (with the same username) as in prior years.  

1. Select Documents from the navigation when it appears.  

2. Use the drop-down menu at the top of the screen to choose the tax year you want and then select Download PDF.    

This link  How do I access a prior year return? has additional information that you may find useful. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gsmock1

I do not have 5 digit code.

If you want to find the pin, you can contact the IRS. Use the following link, 

pin retrieval  for further information regarding that.

As mentioned throughout the thread, you do not need the pin to e-file if you have the AGI. It should be far easier to get last years adjusted gross income, anyway.  Follow the instructions that @MarilynG1 gave above

@ ZoltanB45 wrote:

If you want to find the pin, you can contact the IRS. Use the following link, 

pin retrieval  for further information regarding that.

As mentioned throughout the thread, you do not need the pin to e-file if you have the AGI. It should be far easier to get last years adjusted gross income, anyway.  Follow the instructions that @ MarilynG1gave above

Hi, ZoltanB45 :

If you are replying to user @ gsmock1 , the user is not asking about an IP PIN , the 6-digit Identity Protection PIN provided by the IRS to victims of ID theft (or those folks who opt-in).

User is asking about a 5-digit PIN (Prior-Year Self-Select PIN) used to electronically sign the return or, in less common cases, to verify the efiling in lieu of 2020 AGI.    The IRS cannot provide a 5-digit PIN, so that IP PIN Retrieval Tool will not help in this case.

@ gsmock1 :

You don't need the prior-year 5-digit PIN.  To verify your return for efiling you can use the 2020 AGI (most common) instead of using the PIN field (less common.)

There is a later screen that asks you to "Sign" the return that wants you to enter a 5-digit PIN (it tells you to choose any 5 numbers you want).   It's on a screen with today's date and your birth date.  The numbers you enter on that "signature" screen is called a Self-Select PIN and can be used again next year, if you save it in a safe place.

If you're having trouble finding your 2020 AGI, we can tell you how you may be able to find your 2020 return, especially if you used Online TurboTax last year.  If it was prepared online, but is not in your online account, you may have multiple accounts, and we can help you troubleshoot to find the right account.

How do i find my five digit code 

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

If you are referring to the e-filing pin, the IRS discontinued the e-file pin. You will now just need to know your AGI.

There is a screen you may get to asking for a 5 digit pin, you can make up a new pin on this screen.

Let us know if this doesn't answer question here, so we can better assist you.

@Kathylenartz60

tedesco67
Returning Member

AGI for 2021 is now 1040 line 11

tedesco67
Returning Member

OK - Forgot last years PIM check Last yrs. AGI for 2020 Its 4 digits not 5. How do I use It? add a number? What if AGI is 6 digits , What then?

email me at [email address removed]

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

We are unable to email you from this public forum.  Also, for security purposes, please do not provide any personal information here as well. 

Are you in the section where it asks for the Self Select PIN that is 5 digits?  That code is created by you and acts as a signature for your return.  For the AGI, we will ask for that specifically and the number of spaces should not matter.  Your AGI acts as an identifier, but it is not a PIN.  An IP-PIN is issued by the IRS and is 6 digits.  For more information on a Self Select PIN, please see the Help Article here.  

@tedesco67

jkimeyers
Returning Member

The IRS has never issued a PIN to me.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You should be able to file your return using your prior year AGI. 

If you are still having trouble, please reach out to us by phone by following the instructions here. @jkimeyers

ljpm3844

How do I find out my 5 digit PIN 

HollyP
Employee Tax Expert

You can create a new one this year. What is the difference between the five-digit Self-Select PIN I created last year and my Self-Select...

gbcospe

I have given my AGI on line 11 in 2020 taxes but wants personnel pin where do I find it 

@ gbcospe  wrote:

I have given my AGI on line 11 in 2020 taxes but wants personnel pin where do I find it 

It's not clear what that means by "personal PIN."    What kind of PIN are you referring to?  Are you asking about a 5-digit prior-year Self-Select PIN used last year?    Or are you asking about a 6-digit Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) provided by the IRS to certain victims of identity theft or to folks who opted-in to that program?

If you are asking about the 5-digit PIN from last year, it's not needed this year to verify the ID for efiling your 2021 return.   Many people don't have their 5-digit Self-Select PINs from last year.  You can verify using the 2020 AGI in the AGI field instead.

That being said, there is another screen that will ask for a 5-digit PIN to be used to "sign" the return.  It's on a screen with today's date and your birth date.  On that screen you can enter any 5 digits of your choosing.  That will become your new Self-Select PIN that can be used again next year, if you save it.

You didn't say if you are filing a single-filer return or a married joint return.   Since you said "my AGI", I'll assume that you are not filing a joint return.

Did you already try to efile with the 2020 AGI from your original 2020 Form 1040, Line 11, and got a rejection?   If so what is the rejection error code?

• If you received rejection error code IND-031-04 saying that "the primary taxpayer's prior-year AGI or prior-year Self-Select PIN did not match the IRS efile database", then try again using an AGI of 0 (zero).
  • Or did you get a rejection error code IND-181-01 about an IP PIN (Identity Protection PIN)?   If so, we can tell you more about the 6-digit IP PIN.

That being said, there is another screen that will have you choose a 5-digit PIN to be used to electronically "sign" the return.  It's on a screen with today's date and your birth date.  On that signature screen you can enter any 5 digits of your choosing.  What you choose there will become your new Self-Select PIN that can be used again next year, if you save it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies