turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I dispute my guardian claiming me as a dependent?

Sorry if this is a silly or amateur question, this is my first year trying file as an independent. In the 2020 tax year, I lived with my guardian for the first two months before moving out. Fast forward to today, my return was rejected because my guardian claimed me as a dependent for 2020. Is there a way to dispute this claim, and if so, is it possible to extend the tax deadline?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You will have to print, sign, date and mail your 2020 tax return to the IRS since someone else filed before you claiming you as a dependent.  On your return if you are not eligible to be claimed as a dependent then do not indicate you are a dependent.  Mail your tax return.  If you are owed a federal tax refund the IRS will pay the refund.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to print a tax return for mailing using the online editions - - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Within a year the IRS will contact both you and the other party by mail to investigate the dependent issue.  The loser of the investigation has to repay the refund and pay interest and possibly penalties.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You will have to print, sign, date and mail your 2020 tax return to the IRS since someone else filed before you claiming you as a dependent.  On your return if you are not eligible to be claimed as a dependent then do not indicate you are a dependent.  Mail your tax return.  If you are owed a federal tax refund the IRS will pay the refund.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to print a tax return for mailing using the online editions - - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Within a year the IRS will contact both you and the other party by mail to investigate the dependent issue.  The loser of the investigation has to repay the refund and pay interest and possibly penalties.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies