Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

modboxed

How can I upgrade from Free File?

Hi there--

I cannot for the life of me seem to find out how to upgrade to the Deluxe version from the Free File. I have tried clearing my cache/browser, signing out and back in, navigated from the "Buy Deluxe" button on the main page, looked for an upgrade button on my prepared federal taxes....but literally cannot figure out how to upgrade. Is there any way to do so without making a new account? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
NV

"Did you start using the Free File Program and were unable due to your AGI being too high?  There is no Upgrade link using the Free File Program.  
You must sign off that edition and start a new account with a new unique User ID using the TurboTax online editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/  "

I had posed the same question and received the above answer. It helped. I think the only way left is to create a new account and user id and restart. I had even called the customer representative, who said he will need to consult his supervisor. Basically, no answer from them. Hence this is the best option. 

gforceroy

I need help with this as well. This is really frustrating :( 

Nearly a year later and still the same. 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

As stated in the previous replies you will have to get a new TurboTax account.  Then you will be able to select the TurboTax version that best suits your filing needs.

The TurboTax Free File Program is part of the IRS Free File Program  a public-private partnership that provides free tax preparation and filing services for eligible taxpayers at no cost to the taxpayer or the government.  The TurboTax Free File program does not have the ability to be upgraded.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
scrivenc

You can upgrade, using the link up above, if you've used Turbo Tax in prior years. Once you've started, go to that link and then choose the new version. Then the version tied to your account will update. 

scrivenc

Using the link you provided, It was able to upgrade without creating a new account. It "upgraded" my free version after I chose the version I wanted. Thank you!

This did not work for me. If the link above meant the first "response" I am still stuck in the free version.

You can upgrade with the link, easily. You CAN NOT upgrade, from any link or anywhere using THE FREE VERSION, hence The Free Version is not upgrade eligible. 

I just wanted to put this HERE in case You came back another year later and still didn't see the reply that has been posted Here multiple times since a day after Your post. 😉

Expert Alumni

As stated in the previous replies you will have to get a new TurboTax account.  Then you will be able to select the TurboTax version that best suits your filing needs.

The TurboTax Free File Program is part of the IRS Free File Program  a public-private partnership that provides free tax preparation and filing services for eligible taxpayers at no cost to the taxpayer or the government.  The TurboTax Free File program does not have the ability to be upgraded.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

People say you can upgrade from the Free File website.

Check out this one.  User OpFor at the end seems like he found a way to upgrade from Free File website and keep his info

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-don-t-qualify-for-free-file-this-year-as-it-...

User OpFor posted this...........

Last year one user posted this.  It works for 2020 too.....

I found this message thread because I was searching for an answer on how to do this.  I finally found it and wanted to post it in case others find it too.

1.  Go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/

2.  Click "help me choose"

3.  Select the options that apply to your situation

4.  Click "start for free" of whatever product you want to use when it gives you the suggestions

After that, it asked how I did my taxes last year.  I selected Turbo Tax, then it had me sign in.  Once I was signed in, it asked if I was sure I wanted to change to a commercial product and not use the free file program.  I selected yes, clicked ok, and I was back into the normal system and out of the free file system.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies