turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hzem118

How can I force the 1040 long form instead of the 1040 SR form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

The Form 1040 and the Form 1040-SR are exactly the same form. 

The Form 1040-SR has a larger typeface and is used by seniors 65 years of age or older.  There is no difference between the two forms.

The 1040SR is new starting in 2019.  It is the same as the regular 1040 just larger type and the Standard Deduction chart is added to page 1.  But has the same line numbers.    You automatically get the SR if you or your spouse are 65.  If you are using the Desktop program there is a way to force the one you want.

Even the regular 2019 1040 return is now different than 2018.  They changed the line numbers again and reduced the new schedules from 6 to 3.

1040SR https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s.pdf

1040 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

If you use the Desktop program you can switch to forms and the Info Wks part II has a selection to select 1040SR or not.  You can not change it in the Online versions.   In the Online version if you want to use the regular 1040 form, you can print out the 1040SR and copy the amounts onto the 1040 and then mail your return.

This is the dumbest thing the IRS has done to date ... what they should have done is given the 1040 larger font and 86 the 1040SR form.  It is not needed at all ... in fact my professional program allows us to force the 1040 at all times AND has it the larger font on it.  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@Critter-3 wrote:

This is the dumbest thing the IRS has done to date ...  

The IRS had no choice. Congress passed a law requiring a special form for seniors.

Ok ... so the fools in Congress should be shot ... and the IRS should have talked them out of it.  Both are to blame IMO.   To bring a new useless form into the works at the same time they majorly reconfigured the 1040 form (twice in two tax years back to back no less) is the definition of insanity.  

Last year I used the 1040 WKS to force Turbo Tax to use 1040 even if over 65.  I thanked you for that advice last year!  I can't find that box this year.  Do you know how to force it to print a 1040 for 2021 taxes?  No one should respond to this if all they want to tell me is that they are the same.  I already know that.

Here are all your questions/answers in this site ... is the prior year trick not still working? 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/3495427

@Captain Randy wrote:

Last year I used the 1040 WKS to force Turbo Tax to use 1040 even if over 65.  I thanked you for that advice last year!  I can't find that box this year.  Do you know how to force it to print a 1040 for 2021 taxes?  No one should respond to this if all they want to tell me is that they are the same.  I already know that.

Using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions click on Forms

When in Forms mode open the Federal Information Worksheet (Info Wks).   On Part II select Yes or No for printing the Form 1040-SR

OK Here it is from the 2021 program.

1040SR.jpg

Thanks, have I told you that you are awesome, lately?  BTW I was on the wrong WKS which is why I couldn't find the check box.  Maybe that means I really do need the SR version! LOL

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies