Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marlenne_28
Returning Member

Hi , can my child's dad claim child as dependent if I didn't work this year? if so how

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Hi , can my child's dad claim child as dependent if I didn't work this year? if so how

Your child's other parent can claim your child as his or her dependent if you authorize that, even if the child lives with you. You do that by completing and signing form 8332 and giving a copy of it to the child's other parent to be filed with his or her tax return. Form 8332

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
marlenne_28
Returning Member

what if the parent already filed the tax this year can they still add the dependent or is it too late at this point?

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

If they already filed, they will need to wait until that return is fully processed and then amend their return with your permission as noted by ThomasM125.

marlenne_28
Returning Member

Quick question Would I qualify for the amount of the $1,600 child credit full amount if I filed myself for my child even if I didn't work  at all or does the parent have to earn an X amount of money to earn the child dependent amount?

SharonD007
Expert Alumni

No, to be eligible for the CTC, you must have at least $2,500 of income from working.  The credit is calculated based on the amount you earned above $2,500. Your modified adjust gross income has to be under $400,000 for Married Filing Jointly or Qualified Widower and $200,000 for all other filing statuses.  

For more information, refer to the TurboTax Help articles: 2023 and 2024 Child Tax Credit: Top 7 Requirements, What is the Child Tax Credit?, and What is the Additional Child Tax Credit?

marlenne_28
Returning Member

got it what if we are not married , he files as single so I will probably do an add and he can file for our son since his taxes already processed for this year , does he have to call the office he filed or IRS to do this dependent addition ?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

In order to add the dependent to the dad's return that was already filed, the dad must file an amended return.  He would not call the IRS to have this done.  

If his taxes were done by a local person at an office instead of through TurboTax, then he should go back to that office and have them prepare the amended return to add the dependent.  

There is no rush to get this done prior to April 15th.  You have three years to amend a return after the due date.

@marlenne_28 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies