turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

karahundj

Hello. What is the difference please, between the Turbo Tax Free Edition Filing vs the IRS Free File Program delivered by Turbo Tax? I have the option to switch over . TY

Different website and I don't understand which is appropriate to simply file Fed and State for free. Thank you
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Hello. What is the difference please, between the Turbo Tax Free Edition Filing vs the IRS Free File Program delivered by Turbo Tax? I have the option to switch over . TY

In the regular Turbo Tax Free Edition, information that you can enter is limited now.  Why do I have to upgrade from the Free Edition?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/upgrading/help/why-do-i-have-to-upgrade-from-free-edition/00/26379

The IRS Free File has more forms but has other limitations. like Schedules A, B, C , D, E, F, EIC, H, K-1, SE,  etc.

To qualify for the Free File website  you just need to meet one of these 3 things.

AGI $36,000 or less.

Active duty military with AGI of $69,000 or less

OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

In order to use the Free File program, you have to start it at a special website.  Click on Sign in at the top right.  It may let you continue your return so you don't have to start over.

https://freefile.intuit.com/

How to switch to the Free File website

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program/01/...

The basic version of TurboTax online is free to start, but the price you pay at the end will depend on the complexity of your tax return in the forms that you need.  Many people qualify to file for free, but there are a number of situations that will require you to upgrade to a paid version. For example, if you are claiming a credit for college tuition, or you have a health savings account or contributions to an IRA, or income from selling stocks and other investments.

The IRS FreeFile version is completely free, even if you need complex forms, but only if your income is $36,000 or less.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies