turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, I was filing my tax married jointly and I want to separate my wife's tax this year in separated account, how can transfer her info

I want to remove my wife's information my TurboTax account (her personal info and work info) and transfer them to her new TurboTax account.
We are still married but we want to file our tax separately this year.
Last year she had expenses on her personal business and we did divide them on 5 years!
now I want to transfer these information to her account
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Hello, I was filing my tax married jointly and I want to separate my wife's tax this year in separated account, how can transfer her info

You have a couple of options.

It is easier to prepare your tax return jointly for federal and separately for states using the downloaded version of the software.

Please see the link below for how to download the software based upon your reporting requirements.

Downloading TurboTax Desktop versions

You can also prepare your return using the online version of the software, but you will need to create a few files in order to file your state returns.  Please see the following link for more details.

How to File MFJ for Federal but separately for state

Please see the attached link for more instructions on how to switch from filing jointly to separately.  The link has the steps as well as other links that will be helpful to complete the process whether you prepare your returns online or using the download version.

Switching from Married Filing Jointly to Separately

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

You can't do what you want to do (transfer her  info to a new TurboTax [TT] account), in TurboTax online (TTO).

If you are listed first (the "taxpayer" not the "spouse") on you current account, you can reuse that account for yourself, by deleting all her info.  She has to start a new account and cannot transfer any of her info. It has to be entered manually. 

As the other answer said, you can possibly do it in download software, but it's a lot of work and prone to errors.

Nothing you have described, so far, justifies not filing as Married Filing Jointly, again this year.  You should probably describe what it is you are trying to accomplish

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies