Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Jkd8591
Returning Member

Hello, I am trying to upload a CSV file from bitcoin.tax or Coinbase and I keep getting an error massage during upload: "Validation failed".

If you have Microsoft excel installed on your computer then when you double click file it opens.

If file has only headings but no bought, sell date and quantity of  virtual currency then the file is considered blank. It gives validation error when importing in turbo tax.
Seems like Coinbase provides all wallet files whether a user traded those currencies or not. If there are no trades, there are no transactions.  Transaction history file for all assets also gives error. Turbo tax imports only individual wallet files. You import one file, click on select all, then on add more and go back and import next file until you have imported all files. Try practising.

Jkd8591
Returning Member

Hello, I am trying to upload a CSV file from bitcoin.tax or Coinbase and I keep getting an error massage during upload: "Validation failed".

Cryptotrader.tax takes transaction history file from coinbase and creates crptotrader.tax file that easily imports in turbotax. It walks you through all the steps. Cryptotrader.tax also lets you import your trade history files from other exchanges like binance etc. It creates one file even if imported files are from multiple exchanges. Basic fee is about $49.99 and more depending on number of  trades.

HereWeGo

I was in the same boat as a lot of you asking for this solution. I figured out a way that helped me, so maybe it can help you. 

First off, I used Coinbase for my cryptocurrency. In order to upload a CSV file to Turbotax, you have to login, then click on your profile "logo".

Click on "Taxes and Reports". 

Scroll down to "Other Reports"

Find the link correlating with your "Gain/Loss" report for the current year. 

Click "Download" 

A long list of all the wallets from Coinbase (whether I traded that currency or not) appear. 

Right Click "Download" under the currency you want. 

Choose "Download Linked File"

You will find the file under downloads on your computer. 

When asked by Turbotax to attach a CSV file I chose the file I just downloaded. (I only uploaded my BTC wallet because although I also traded with LTC and ETH, their wallets didn't show any transaction history on their respective CSV files). 

Pro Tip: Download the currency wallet CSV files for the currencies you traded with. Then go to your file explorer on your computer and open each one. Check to see if there's any transactions on it. If there aren't any transactions listed, (i.e. date, amount, type, sold, etc.) then don't upload it to Turbotax. 

Hope this helps some of you

jozo
Level 1

Coinbase remove that gain/loss section and does not care about tax filing (https://www.coinbase.com/bitcoin-taxes#gainsandlosses)  they want to make another way to make money so use other third party companies to put their stupid transcations in order and charge hundreds of dollars for that simple cvs report and put them under right column that is.  

2.2 Calculate gains and losses

Now that you have a comprehensive view of your activity, you’ll need to figure out whether you incurred gains or losses on each transaction. This means you’ll need to review each transaction and determine the cost basis to see if it’s a loss or a gain.

Same here. No way to upload anything. 

1) CSV - gives me a header error.

2) Coinbase refers to a third-party that charges you $200+ for a 200 transactions.

3) If you have a Coinbase Pro and over 100 transactions it's getting very complicated because you have to manually input each. And even more, complicated when you have to combine asset transactions made in several days, etc.

Please let us know if anyone found a solution. That should be simple, not as is right now. People have to pay taxes and Coinbase just cuts this ability and Turbotax gives an error.

Absolutely! I am having this issue too. Coinbase partners with a third party called CoinTracker who offers to tabulate one's gains/losses for a fee, of course! It's stunning that Coinbase is so greedy that it no longer calculates this information for its customers free of charge. It's also stunning that TurboTax still partners with Coinbase and makes it seem so easy to upload a .CSV file of your transaction history (not gain/loss because, again, Coinbase no longer offers this document), yet it does NOT work. 

jozo
Level 1

Hi, Guys I solve the problem using thirdparty website so there is no other way to do that easily. CVS file is succesfully uploaded to Turbotax but I paid $49 https://cryptotrader.tax/

I will NOT use coinbase again for my coin purchases I will use robinhood. it took cares of everything for you unlike coinbase.

That's not successful since Coinbase should offer a gain/loss document FOR FREE like every brokerage firm does and TurboTax doesn't say it's going to cost extra to get it so TurboTax deserves criticism too. 

jozo
Level 1

Yes, you are right TurboTax states on help go to gain/loss page and download cvs and upload here then puff you are done but none of them are correct. TurboTax should warn us if smebody select coinbase regarding their treatments of transactions so instead of letting us try hours to figuring out why it does not upload cvs files from coinbase.  Coinbase must prepare a gain/loss document for us. 

Now, you get it. 

Exactly this. Same issue here, adding onto the thread for potential help regarding this. Everyone seems to redirect to this, which is simply wrong information.

Bingo; It's disgraceful that both Coinbase and Intuit are lying to us. 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Please click How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase? for assistance with uploading your CSV filed from Coinbase.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi @TerukoL,

In case you missed the link in my message in this thread (see https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-hello-i-am-trying-to-upload-a-csv-file-from-bi...), every "expert" redirects to the same outdated information. Coinbase does not provide a gain/loss calculator anymore. As you can see on multiple posts in this forum, people have tried to point out that Coinbase tries to redirect to a separate third party for the same information. 

Additionally, seems like people who reached out via phone to get this solved have also not been helped (see https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-how-do-i-upload-my-coinbase-csv-i-am-using-the... or https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-ve-been-trying-to-upload-my-coinbase-transac...).

Please let us know of an actual solution, rather than incorrect information. I'm open to modifying the CSV headers myself to make it work with the system, but redirecting to yet another third party while claiming to offer an integration within the two services is plain misinformation.

Instead of the same link, some actual information on how to convert the CSV format from the one provided by Coinbase to the one accepted by TurboTax would be greatly beneficial. Or rather, any help with submitting information from Coinbase, without having to pay some other middleman.

False information. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies