Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Hello, I am trying to upload a CSV file from bitcoin.tax or Coinbase and I keep getting an error massage during upload: "Validation failed".

@TerukoL No, you're not an expert. If you were, you'd know that link you pasted is outdated. the information doesn't apply and is not helpful. 

HabibP

Hello, I am trying to upload a CSV file from bitcoin.tax or Coinbase and I keep getting an error massage during upload: "Validation failed".

shame, like you pay for everything, and they even can't do these gain\lost

BCH1
Level 1

It would help if someone would actually answer the question instead of repeating the same link with outdated info over and over, then begging for a like. I have a csv file downloaded and formatted properly, with headers. TurboTax gives the same error to me ad everyone else here. Help 

It really boggles my mind that a multi-billion dollar company like Intuit will not address this issue in a proper manner. Insane. 

the issue is that your system is not understanding the imported CSV file. please have the dev team fix this issue.

Hey guys replying here because i just did my cryptocurrency taxes with coinbase - for all u having trouble. If you go to coinbase in the tax section, those CSVs will not work when you upload them because of header error. Coinbase actually recommends you to sign up through CoinTracker and use their tax forms instead.
https://help.coinbase.com/en/coinbase/taxes-reports-and-financial-services/taxes/coinbase-tax-resour...
I signed up with the Free plan and you will want the Capital Gains CSV report to upload and it works. Now for those you can't do the Free plan because you have too many transactions, you can pay for the premium plan or you can technically fix the CSV so that you can upload it to TurboTax, there are required headers that need to exist and the values obvious to match those headers. When you are on the cryptocurrency page of TurboTaxes, you can check the help section to see what format the CSV is suppose to be in. (Sorry i dont have that info upfront right now)

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please refer to the following article for updated information on importing the CSV.

How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Great and helpful tip on the Cointracker info.  I saw that on Coinbase Pro.

As for the rest of the crypto traders out there.  I suggest you do what we have done since 2013.

Make your own Excel spreadsheet.  Track your own buys, sells and fees in the spreadsheet.

It's pretty easy to enter individual crypto sales into TurboTax Premier 2020.  We were actually impressed that the software seemed to know what crypto was this year.

Luckily for us, it was only 4 sales to report, which was not tedious.  Two BTC and two XLM. 

If you have not held your crypto for at least one year prior to the date of the sale,  it is a short term gain or loss.  A short term gain is subject to 25% federal taxes, but may be offset by other credits this year.

A long term gain (owned for 365 days or more) is subject to 0-15% federal income tax, less any other tax credits you may deserve.

In any case, the information needed for your spreadsheet is very simple.  Here is our Bitcoin spreadsheet header.  Ours is a bit complex, so you can simplify for your needs.  We use a separate TAB for each cryptocurrency coin.

Each word below is a column header.

Trans Date
Broker
Currency
Trans. Type
QTY
Price/BTC
Transaction Total
(-Fee)
Net Cost
BAL FWD
Cost Basis
Gain (Loss)

Balance Forward is just a count of the coins or fractional coins you have accumulated.  It comes in handy when you have more than just one or two coins.   Cost basis is very simple.  It is the cost of the purchase plus any fees, plus the sale fee.  So, if you bought 1 BTC at 50,000.00 and paid a $150 fee, then later sold it the next week for $55,000 for $200 fee, your cost basis is $50,000 + $150+$200 = $50,350.   Your short term gain in the Gain/Loss column is $55,000 - $50,350 = $4,650.   And, since you were doing some "week trading" your gain is short term at a 25% tax federal rate.

That later part is calculated by TT Premium.   All you need is the buy dates, amounts, qtys, buy fees, sale dates, sale fees. 

It's the same info you would plug in if you sold vacant lots, expensive art works, or classic cars.  So, don't let the fact that it is crypto make your head explode.  It is the sale of personal property, just like the others above.

Just don't be foolish and think you don't have to report it because its crypto.  You do.  If you are smart enough to buy and sell crypto, you can do a simple spreadsheet, and not have to depend on Coinbase, TurboTax or CoinTracker to do your taxes.

Help. I have a csv file from Paypal for crypto trading. I have it d/l and saved on my computer. I have desktop version of TT Deluxe. How do I import the file into TT for gains/losses??

Mel

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

@compiler...The desktop version does not have the feature to upload images or CSV files to autofill your crypto transactions.    The only way to import your crypto transactions in the desktop program is if your crypto financial institution is on the TurboTax Import Partner List.   If not, your crypto transactions can be summarized or entered individually in the Investment Income section of TurboTax Desktop - using the first subsection, Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, and OTHER (crypto).

If you have a large number of crypto transactions and are using the desktop software, there is another option you can try out.    This will allow you to start your 2021 return in Online using your 2020 desktop tax file (*.tax2020), upload your crypto and finish the return using the desktop software without having to retype or re-enter any information.  

1. Start a return in the Online software in the Self-Employed (any individual tax return will work with SE) product.  Use the ''Start for Free'' option as you will not be paying for or filing the return using TurboTax Online.  
  2. If you have a saved copy of your 2020 return as a tax file (*.tax2020), import that previous year tax file using the linked instructions (choose 'I used the CD/Download version last year') .   This will populate your personal information, previously used Schedules, AGI, carryover amounts, and other important details  from your previous years return.   A PDF file won't work; you need the 2020 tax file.    If you do not have a 2020 tax return to transfer in, you can skip this step, but your 2021 return won't have your 2020 data if you do skip this step.   
  3. Import or upload your crypto data.   You can connect directly to your exchange, take a photo of your transactions or upload your own CSV file.    Use one header row with only the 5 key column labels (description, purchase date, sold date, proceeds, and cost basis) at the top.   If you are using the file from the crypto exchange or aggregator, it may have something hidden or embedded in the header row that prevents it from importing correctly.
  4. Once you have all your crypto in TurboTax Online, you can use the Tax Tools >> Tools menu on the left side panel and click on Save your 2021 return to your computer link.   The 2021 tax file will download to your computer.
  5. Open that tax file using your desktop software and finish your return.   All of your previous year's information as well as your crypto transactions will included in the tax file (*.tax2021).

Keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year won't transfer if the file is password protected.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@GeorgeM777:Very helpful reply!  Thanks.

However, this is an old thread from last year.  Perhaps a new one should've been started instead??

For 2021, TurboTax says on its website that it...

"TurboTax supports CSV files uploaded from these cryptocurrency services.

• Bitcoin.Tax
  • BitTaxer
  • Coinbase
  • CoinTracker
  • CoinLedger
  • Robinhood
  • TokenTax
  • ZenLedger"

I once again bought 2021 TT Premium and 2021 TT Business.  Are you saying I have to go online and pretend to Free File to get the import feature I paid for?  Or, pay Cointracker to get the right format of .CSV file?

Tell me that isn't true, because if it is, it's worthy of a class action.

Or, as I'm a long time Excel user, so tell me what the proper CSV format is, including headers, if it doesnt work.

But, the above quote I just scraped off the TurboTax website, so it better be right.

George: 

There is no investment feature in TT  DELUXE.

I found another way: I created a new 1099-B and labeled it PayPal. I then could get one proceeds figure and one cost figure from the data. I can enter it in the area that goes directly to Sched. D. (IT's 5 transactions-- just added the total costs and total proceeds).

Seems to work.

Mel

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies