Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, I am trying to upload a CSV file from bitcoin.tax or Coinbase and I keep getting an error massage during upload: "Validation failed".

This shows right after I upload the file and the download manager says Scanning Viruses. Right after I get - "Validation Failed". I use turbotax online and I follow all instructions correctly. Also, I have only 37 transactions which is below the 100 limit. Also I get another message: "Sorry, we are unable to import your CSV file at this time. You’ll need to add your transactions manually."
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

41 Replies

Hello, I am trying to upload a CSV file from bitcoin.tax or Coinbase and I keep getting an error massage during upload: "Validation failed".

Open the file in Excel and resave as .csv. (Even if it is already a .csv) and then re-upload.

I'm getting this same error resaved csv no fix still getting the error. from coinbase

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@redhaze Please see the following TurboTax FAQ for assistance with uploading your CSV filed from Coinbase: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/cryptocurrency/help/how-do-i-get-a-csv-file-from-coinbase/01/27533...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Fix- when downloading .csv file from coinbase. you need to download each wallet csv  individually for 2019 and upload the files that have transactions in them only. After i did that it worked fine.

aive
Level 2

not helpful....

aive
Level 2

Hello @redhaze 

what you mean by "have transactions in them only", you go in the excel and remove all other lines? 

I tried to remove them with or without the headers. not work either 

Thanks 

jefe

Do not download a transaction history file. Go to: Other reports - Gain/loss reports. And then generate a report for the applicable year. You'll need to download a separate CSV file for each wallet.

I am having the same issue.  I paid to have a turbotax consultant on the phone for over an hour, still no solutions.  I've read several forums where multiple people are having the same issue.  I have verified that I am uploading the correct files, with each asset in its own .csv file from a single wallet, only ~35 lines.  I still get a validation error.  If anyone has solved this issue, please provide DETAILS.  This can help a lot of people.  Thank you!

I am having the same issue - validation failed. Furthermore, when I open the csv file, there does not appear to be any real data. I'm opening it on Numbers for Mac.

Cyndi0408

Any ideas on how to fix this? I tried saving it again and it wouldn’t work. Please help!

This worked!!

pkdav

Having the same issue and none of the above helped. Coinbase PRO user. Tried all methods. Validation failed. TurboTax team has to contact Coinbase immediately to troubleshoot and address this issue. Still waiting for a way to import! Or at least the formula to calculate it in the meantime!! Thanks

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to assist you with technical matters on this forum.

The best and most efficient way for you to connect with the right person to get the help you need is to select the version you are using below.

We're open daily from 5 AM to 9 PM PT.

TurboTax Online

TurboTax mobile app

TurboTax CD/Download software

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jkd8591
Returning Member

Transactions history file for all assets and blank files without any transactions in them give validation error. All other files like wallet files get imported easily. This worked for me.

I downloaded my csv or excel files from Coinbase and easily imported in turbotax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies