turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jeff_brown2
Returning Member

Goodbye TurboTax :-(

I've used Quicken since 1999, and TurboTax since it first came out.  I have faithfully purchased TurboTax Deluxe every year until 2020.  With all the tax law changes, for the first time since leaving university 32 years ago I no longer qualify for itemizing deductions.  I thought, ok, great at least I can file for free this year.  (Since I didn't sell any stock and wouldn't get hit by the STUPID lack of Schedule D in the Deluxe product.)

So I sat down with my Quicken report and my forms, and spent an hour entering stuff in TurboTax Online Free edition.  I got all the way to the very end, cleared all the checks.  Then I get told I have to use Deluxe, for $60 no less, because the company I work for is based in Canada which means I earned foreign dividends and the free edition cannot be used with Form 1116.  

I can no longer justify keeping my relationship with Intuit, since Quicken is no longer associated with Intuit and since Intuit keeps nickel and diming its customers.  I'm going to give Credit Karma the benefit of the doubt, hopefully I don't get spammed to oblivion from them selling my email information.  At least they offer true zero cost filing for simple returns (which include a small amount of stock sales).

I am truly saddened to leave TurboTax, it has been one of my trusted partners for 20 years.  So my sole remaining connection will be via ItsDeductible, which I hope Intuit does not gut.  (Although, given that I can no longer reasonably expect to itemize again until the Sales & Local Income Tax limitation is repealed, I won't have need to track contributions anyway.)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

@jeff_brown2 wrote:

...I'm going to give Credit Karma the benefit of the doubt....

You might want to read this --> https://techcrunch.com/2020/02/24/intuit-credit-karma/

On February 24, 2020, Intuit announced that it planned to acquire Credit Karma for $7.1 billion.

jeff_brown2
Returning Member

Well, it took about an hour to fill in the information again.  The interface is similar to an older version of Turbotax online:  more questions, less streamlined, uses more screen space than it should so there is more scrolling that needed.  But the final result matched my Turbotax pre-filed return.  And, it cost me $0 for:Filed and Accepted.png

jeff_brown2
Returning Member

In response to the post of the planned merger/takeover, well, that's unfortunate.  But that's a worry for the future, not today.  Perhaps they will learn the lesson.  Perhaps not.  

akond

Sad you are leaving. I have been using turbotax since 2005 and am still hanging with them!

I've been a loyal of TurboTax since the old MS-DOS days.  One time I purchased a competitive product, was not happy and went back to TurboTax.  I don't change operating systems often, I'm still using Windoze 7, 64bit, professional and refuse to move on.  It's time to say good by to TurboTax, I will now be looking for an alternative, no, not the on-line version.

That isn't the only problem, I had a hard drive crash on one of my systems and had to reload Quickbooks.  I had to re-register the product, I was not allowed to because the message from Quicken said it was no longer supported.  I paid for the product, all of my business records were on it.  I had no choice but to find a "cracked" version, Quicken gave me no choice.

All I can say, have a nice day ;(.

Ok ... going forward remember to save your files on a removable storage medium like a thumb drive so you always have access to your records.  As to the old quickbooks program ... unfortunately they do have a sunset where they go out of date ...  so if you lose the programming you will have to upgrade ... this is a simple fact of life in the electronic world we live in.  

Same story for  me.  Loved TurboTax until this year and won't return.

First of all, I live in Texas which has been granted another extension for the tax filing deadline to June 15 because of our February  power crisis. TurboTax software doesn't reflect that.  When I called the support guy didn't know anything about it. Seriously. I gave him the IRS web address, https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announces-tax-relief-for-texas-severe-wi[product key removed]ms, he looked at it and said, "Huh. Didn't know that."

Now I have to sign up for Credit Karma to finish filing and when I finally got to the end there is no option for paying taxes online through the TurboTax software, as there always has been. I wound up going to the IRS website which I should have done in the beginning.

I'm out. They just  couldn't leave well enough alone.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies