turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8962 Premium Tax Credit(PTC) is WRONG. Turbotax is not allowing for the PTC for MAGI income of over 400% FPL for tax year 2022 as passed in the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 and as extended through 2025 in the Inflation Reduction Act

A similar thread is posted in this community but has been marked SOLVED.  This issue is NOT SOLVED.  Turbotax has from 8962 WRONG.  Congress has allowed the PTC for MAGI income of over 400% FPL.   Data entered on 1095-A is not populating to form 8962 and calculating the PTC subsidy correctly for those over the 400%.  It is working on income under 400%, but Congress has waived that limitation for tax years 2021-2025.

PLEASE FIX THIS

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

Form 8962 Premium Tax Credit(PTC) is WRONG. Turbotax is not allowing for the PTC for MAGI income of over 400% FPL for tax year 2022 as passed in the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 and as extended through 2025 in the Inflation Reduction Act

Solved is a misnomer on a thread.  It only means that someone selected the answer on the thread as the best answer.

This problem was reported several days ago to the Moderators of the TurboTax user forum.  They replied back -

Thank you all for bringing this to us. This is a confirmed issue, and the team is working diligently to fix this as soon as possible. I am monitoring this closely and I will reach out when I have more information or a containment article to share.

Debra_S

This problem persists as my 2022 return has been rejected several times  from yesterday, the day before, and today due to this issue.  I have paid Turbo ax and need results.  My insurance is provided by my employer and has nothing to do with Form 8962.  With this said, my 2022 tax return is delayed.  I need Turbo Tax to immediately fix this problem or refund me so that I can find other resources to assist me in my refund needs.

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

Since your insurance is through your employer, you do not need to enter 1095-B or 1095-C. The 8962 is only associated with those that have Obamacare and receive a 1095-A. You can delete that section and be sure to mark no that you do not have insurance through the Affordable Care Act. Once deleted, the 8962 will go away and you can file.

You may want to try:

• Don't use Internet Explorer.
  • Clear cache and cookies,
  • Sign in using a different browser.
  • Sign in using a different device.

@lowraharrison

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Selecting "no" on receiving 1095 is not working. I then select "Continue" and received the message of coming back and filling out a 1095 or IRS will reject my return. There is no option to delete. "No" is not deleting this option from my return. 

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

If you are using:

• Online: see How do I view and delete forms in TTO?
  •  Desktop: If you are working in the cd/download TurboTax program:
    1. On the top right, there is a FORMS button. 
    2. Click on FORMS.
    3. Locate the form you want to delete.
    4. Click on the form name.
    5. Below the form, bottom left, select DELETE FORM button. For a mac, click the delete button on your keyboard.

The form will come back if you have entered information that causes the program to believe you need the form.

It wont let me delete the form, and yet the form is blank but for names, etc. This is ridiculous. I have tried to change this and refile 4 times now and every one is rejected. My situation is the same. No record of my household on the Marketplace. No names, DOBs, SSNs, nothing. Insurance through employer. I dont have a 1095A. How do I get this darn thing to go through? Both state and federal are rejecting.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

When you enter the ACA section, it automatically defaults the answer to "Yes", so if we change the answer to "No" and Continue until we are back at the main Deductions and Credits screen, it will stay checked as "No"

First, be sure there is no Form 1095-A information in the ACA section.  Use the trashcan icon to delete.

Then, go back and answer "No" to the question Did you receive Form 1095-A and Continue until you are back at the main screen. 

It will be saved with the "No" answer for you to resubmit. 

I followed your directions as well as everyone else's. I checked no and ran it out to the main screen.  I saved it.  When I click on forms and search there is no 1095A to be found but there is the 8962 form and that one will not delete and I dont know why it is there. When I refile, it gets rejected again. 5 times now! Then when I log back in, the 1095A form question is back to YES. Nothing is getting rid of this thing. HELP! I am losing my mind!

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2022" file that is experiencing this issue.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution. 

Thank you for looking into this. My token number is 1072468.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

I have reviewed the return and when you created the token there was not a Form 8962 or a  Form 1095-A present in the return, so there are no partially complete files causing a rejection at the IRS.

If the IRS rejects, the states automatically do, so when the federal is resolved, it should follow.

I know you said you and no one on your return applied for ACA insurance for 2022, but if someone entered an incorrect social security number on their ACA application, or if there is another error with the Marketplace database that is shared with the IRS, they will not accept your return until it is resolved. 

This reject happens when your return is missing Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement. The IRS compares the information you enter on your return with what they have in their database. When something is missing or mismatched, your return gets rejected. The IRS internal database indicates that a Form 1095-A should have been or will be received by the taxpayer.  In order to electronically file this return, you must provide information shown on Form 1095-A. 

The next step would be to contact the Marketplace and see if they have anything there that is being shared with the IRS that is causing them to look for a Form 1095-A.  You may call them at:  1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325). Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except holidays)

I actually phoned the Marketplace right away when this happened. They looked up our names, DOBs and SSNs. They said there was nothing that would link any of us to the Marketplace and that there must be some other explanation.  I guess I don't know what to do at this point.  I have always had insurance through my employer. Funny how when I search forms, there is not a 1095A, but I can pull up a Form 8962 (even though it is blank except for names).

I’m having the same issue to this day. After everything I’ve read I do believe I qualify for the PTC. Following this thread so I can stay up to date. 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

What issue are you having? Can you describe your situation and the problem you are having?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies