Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8839 will not delete even after it says it has been deleted. What can I do other than clear and start over?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Form 8839 will not delete even after it says it has been deleted. What can I do other than clear and start over?

Try deleting the associated worksheets (before you delete 8839) also.  Here's the general procedure for viewing the forms list and deleting unwanted forms, schedules, and worksheets in TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

If you see "Adoptive Child Worksheet", "Adoption Carryover Computation Wksht", and/or "Form 8839" delete them all.  Start with the worksheets because they have to be deleted before the Form 8839 will stay deleted.  

Additionally, make sure you have not erroneously entered any code T items from box 12 of your W-2.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have deleted Form 8839 along with the adoption deduction/credit information that goes along with it. However, when running Smart Check I keep getting errors and Turbo Tax is requiring I complete Form 8839. I do have box 12 T dollars on my W2. Those are for dollars reimbursemed by my employer as part of the adoption process. However, there has not been a placement for a child yet. There is NO CHILD to enter on Form 8839 because we have not been matched yet. Turbo Tax keeps requiring me to enter a child's name and information. What do I do if I have box 12 T dollars on my W2 but no information about a child to enter in Form 8839? My return has been rejecting by the IRS already because of this, so I need to get this submitted without Form 8839 requiring a child's name to be entered.

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please see below for information on how to contact customer support.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

I too can't delete the adoption form and have tried over and over again. It says it is deleted but when it runs the check it is there again. I also deleted it from the list of forms used in my review and it always come back. I have done this at least 30 times and I have tried calling about a dozen times and get some computer voice that takes you no where and is not helpful at all, I want to efile but I can't because of this stupid error. 

I understand your frustration. I wish I had something helpful to offer, however I was not able to work it out on my own. I was able to reach a representative who after an hour was able to delete the form for me. 

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Detailed assistance with deleting the form has been provided by clicking here. If you are still experiencing trouble, please reach out to Customer Support for further assistance by using the link provided below. 

Customer Support

Majlolew
Returning Member

This still does not work. The entire form is not working correctly. 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

@Majlolew  For one-on-one assistance with this experience, please visit the link below for help from Customer Support.

How do I contact TurboTax?

Majlolew
Returning Member

I spent 2 hours on the phone with TurboTax and all I was told is to paper file my return because they had no clue why it wasn’t working. We troubleshooted for over an hour. Worked fine last year… 

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Just to clarify, we would like to take a deeper look at this Form 8839 Qualified Adoption Expenses Adoptive Worksheet behavior. It would help to have a diagnostic file, which is a sanitized copy of your tax return that has all of your personal information removed but has all of the forms and numbers entered. You can send one to us by following the directions below and posting the token number here so we can access the sanitized return.

TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in to your online account
  2. Click on Tax Tools on the left toolbar
  3. Select Tools
  4. In the pop-up screen, click on "Share my file with agent"
  5. Click OK on the message that a diagnostic file will be sanitized and transmitted to us
  6. Please post the Token Number

TurboTax Desktop/Download Versions:

1. Open your return
  2. Click the Online tab in the top menu bar
  3. Select "Send Tax File to Agent"
  4. Click Send on the message, and the tax file will be sanitized and transmitted to us
  5. Please post the Token Number

It doesn't matter what information you give, none of it works. I have been trying to send my taxes out for months and the only issue is the 8839 form that I have tried to delete at least 50 times. I tried calling and you just get a run around. I keep reading and following directions and nothing works. At this point I don't know that I will try Turbo Tax again because of this issue. 

I have tried to delete the form at least 50 times and it won't delete. I tried adding the name of the child that I am in the middle of adopting just to push the form through, but it won't let me click yes or no to the child's adoption being done. The stupid form doesn't work and it is causing huge stress. No matter what I try to do, there is no help. I did find help that suggested I delete my taxes and start over. OMG!!!! REALLY???  Like I want to do them all over again. I need this fixed and not just sent to some link with no real help.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

This Turbo Tax FAQ will show you how to delete a form.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-view-and-delete-forms-in-turbotax-online/0...

If that does not work please contact support for further assistance.

This FAQ will provide you with the steps to contact an agent.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

@Anne N LArry

henselkp1
Returning Member

Token 970009

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies