Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 7206 cannot be efiled!

For those who have given up on 2023 TT desktop version(s) to e-file because of the Form 7206 errors, if you can find someone who will allow you to use a copy of their 2023 HR Block Home and Business program, it will accept 'most' of your TT data and with a few hours of re-work you can file your taxes online and there is no problem having Form 7206.  Guess one should remember this for their 2024 taxes.....why is TT better than HR Block w.r.t. desktop versions????

Just awful!  So disappointing!

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

There are two separate issues with Form 7206.

If you are having a calculation error with what is carrying over to Schedule 1, this is a know issue. You can sign up for updates here: Why isn't my MAGI on Form 8582 not including my full self-employment health deduction?

If you are getting a reject, the development team has given us an update with regard to customers who are receiving the Reject Code R0000-058-01 when trying to electronically file your return.  The resolution to this situation is taking longer than expected and it may not be resolved before the tax filing deadline. 

For reference, this information is from the IRS Instructions for Form 7206

Generally, you can use the worksheet in the Form 1040 instructions to figure your deduction. However, if any of the following apply, you must use Form 7206.

• You had more than one source of income subject to self-employment tax.
  • You file Form 2555.
  • You are using amounts paid for qualified long-term care insurance to figure the deduction.

In order to proceed and get your return filed in a timely manner, please follow this advice:

1 - If you are required to include Form 7206 as a part of your tax return based on the information above, then you need to print and mail your return.  Electronic filing will not be an option if the reject code persists. 

2 - If you are not required to include Form 7206 as part of your tax return, then you can attempt to delete the Form 7206 and try electronically filing your return once again.  If the form cannot be deleted or you still get the reject code, then you need to print and mail your return. 

Use the steps in the following TurboTax help articles to delete Form 7206:

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

How do I delete a tax form in TurboTax Desktop (Windows or Mac)?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@CatinaT1 There is also one other work-around if you can access H&R Block's Premium & Business software, you can import most of the TT data and with some additional re-work it will e-file and no problem with Form 7206.

Yes I am getting Reject Code R0000-058-01 and am now being told I need to file by mail. This clearly appears to be a TurboTax problem. 

"The resolution to this situation is taking longer than expected and it may not be resolved before the tax filing deadline."

So the expense of my time, postage, etc. is not going to be recoverable. And most certainly receiving my refund is going to take much longer via mail filing (actually would have had it by now).

Is there a way I can, at the very least, get my e-filing for state cost of $25 refunded?

Sounds like trying H&R Block next year makes sense.

If you paid for the state efiling by credit card, contact the company and contest the charge.

@foxhull : 

Visit Submit Refund  to apply for refund.

Oops!!! I think I owe TurboTax an apology for this one! I selected to pay for e-filing state and every time I tried to re-submit it showed that I had paid. But I don't see the charge on my card. It appears TurboTax doesn't charge it through until it happen. Good for them! At least on this point I feel better. Still hate that I have to mail but it is what it is.

the FAQ does not work - how can I get updated on the 7206 issue 

Steve you should not still be having this issue.  I caved in and used the on-line version to file my taxes and it worked.  The next day the first fix came in and that ended up resolving the problem for me.  I file my family's returns and had no issue yesterday filing for them form 7206.  There must be another glitch for you and other users which is no fault of your own.  Reach out to TT and insist they provide you with a free on-line option to file your taxes.  (BTW, you can download that version into your desktop software so it will be there for next year's return.)  It took a lot of insistence, but eventually they credited me for a free version.  I am so sorry you are still having problems.  This has been a bad year for the TT software, it's making me consider other options next year.  I hope it works out for you soon.

a user in one of the other threads regarding this figured out that they had multiple form 7206 when viewing the forms in 'form view' - I deleted the extras as was suggested and my return was accepted ! 

The answer is in this thread:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/is-anyone-else-getting-the-code-r0000-058-01-reje...

It just worked for me as well.  Look for the instructions from Deborahwrites1 and BE SURE to follow the steps exactly, including clicking on "Open Form" to do the search.  Very important, otherwise you will not see the extra 7206 forms.  There is still time, good luck to everyone.

This problem remains in the desktop Windows version, even today on April 10!!

Shame on TT for not fixing this. I've had to remove this Form 7206 -- and the deduction I can legitimately claim -- just to try again to get the IRS to accept my e-filed return.

Yes if someone wants to initiate a class action lawsuit against Intuit I am all for it!

I tried everything suggested and re-efiled 4/10/24 and was still rejected. So, whoever says the problem has been fixed is incorrect! I wasted hours on the phone to no avail. Gave up and mail return today. I will request a refund from Intuit and look for other compatible software next year.

:(

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies