Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing Prior Year Return (eFile)

I seem to be getting mixed answers to this question from google. 

Does TurboTax support eFiling prior year's return (i.e., via Modernized e-File (MeF))? I previously purchased last year's software and l prepared the return, however, just need to get it eFiled. It seems like over vendors have this functionality, but since I already paid for TurboTax Premier 2019, want to make sure I am not missing something.

Given New York State's eFile mandate, I want to make sure I can get my 2019 Tax Returns filed as soon as possible.

Many thanks in advanced.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@Richard_E9

It is addressed by New York State at the following link:  NY E-file mandate

Their requirement is to e-file when the return meets three conditions:  

• you use software to prepare your own personal income tax return; and
  • your software supports the electronic filing of your returnand (Italics added)
  • you have broadband Internet access.

Although TurboTax supports current-year e-filing (which would require a 2020 NY return to be e-filed), TurboTax no longer supports e-filing for any prior-year returns.  So even though you get that diagnostic, you may ignore it and mail in the return to NY.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Only a 2020 return can be e-filed.  Prior years have to be printed, signed and mailed.

Online preparation and e-filing for 2017, 2018 and 2019 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2017, 2018, or 2019 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

If you are getting a refund, there is not a penalty for filing past the deadline.  If you owe taxes, the interest/penalties will be calculated by the IRS based on how much you owe and when they receive your return and payment. The IRS will bill you for this; it will not be calculated by TurboTax.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@xmasbaby0 

Thank you for the prompt response. However, after printing my return there is disclaimer that clearly states:

"New York State law requires income tax returns prepared using software to be e-filed. Because this New York State tax return was prepared using software, you MUST file it electronically."

That said - this implies I should be able to eFile, at least, my New York State return. How is this addressed by TurboTax?

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@Richard_E9

It is addressed by New York State at the following link:  NY E-file mandate

Their requirement is to e-file when the return meets three conditions:  

• you use software to prepare your own personal income tax return; and
  • your software supports the electronic filing of your returnand (Italics added)
  • you have broadband Internet access.

Although TurboTax supports current-year e-filing (which would require a 2020 NY return to be e-filed), TurboTax no longer supports e-filing for any prior-year returns.  So even though you get that diagnostic, you may ignore it and mail in the return to NY.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you both for clarifying!

annacombs

where do I go to efile my 2019 tax return

@annacombs wrote:

where do I go to efile my 2019 tax return

A 2019 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

To complete and file a 2019 tax return using TurboTax you would need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2019 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

In the FILE tab you will simply choose the mail in option then the mailing instructions will be included with the return ... follow those instructions for the mailing addresses. 

I want to file 2019 and I was living overseas.  Does Turbotax support that? and how to file it

@Abdul_2020 

Online preparation and e-filing for 2017, 2018 and 2019 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2017, 2018, or 2019 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

You may also want to explore purchasing the software from various retailers such as Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, Walmart, Sam’s, etc.

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0... 

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.

If you are getting a refund, there is not a penalty for filing past the deadline.  If you owe taxes, the interest/penalties will be calculated by the IRS based on how much you owe and when they receive your return and payment. The IRS will bill you for this; it will not be calculated by TurboTax.

Refunds for tax years 2016 or earlier have been forfeited and will not be paid to you even if shown on the tax return form.  But if you owe tax due, you will still have to pay, and you will be billed later for the interest and penalties owed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

thank you for the info.  Does the software support living abroad during 2019?

Yes----you have to use the CD/download.   The CD/download has all of the forms and schedules in every version--so start with Deluxe and upgrade only if you need more help.

thank you for the information and help

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies