Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

as775614

Filed the wrong form!!!

I just realized that I filed the wrong tax return form last night.. I am a non resident alien,,, Can I cancel what I filed last night and get a refund for what I filed? and start a new 1040NR form with Sprinttax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Filed the wrong form!!!

Unfortunately once you click submit, the transmission of your return cannot be stopped. If and when the IRS finds errors, it will be rejected and sent back to you!

If you don't hear from them after it has been accepted you can contact them directly 1-800-829-1040.

Filed the wrong form!!!

I have called 3 times and no one has returned my call within 15 min.  I think you directed me to the short form and deleted all my information about my house taxes and insurance premiums, etc!  I need to either re file or find out what to do!  Please help me!  I'm scared to death!  but I lost all my information when i returned to my Turbo tax the next day and didn't reaqlize it.  Can you help me please???

Filed the wrong form!!!

@llbdolphin22 wrote:

I have called 3 times and no one has returned my call within 15 min.  I think you directed me to the short form and deleted all my information about my house taxes and insurance premiums, etc!  I need to either re file or find out what to do!  Please help me!  I'm scared to death!  but I lost all my information when i returned to my Turbo tax the next day and didn't reaqlize it.  Can you help me please???

There is no such thing as a short form for 2019.  The form 1040EZ and form 1040A were removed after tax year 2017.  There is only a Form 1040 for a federal tax return.  If your total itemized deductions (mortgage interest, property taxes, mortgage insurance, etc.) on Schedule A were not greater than the standard deduction for your filing status then only the standard deduction will be used.

Standard deductions for 2019

• Single - $12,200 add $1,650 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $12,200 add $1,300 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $24,400 add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $18,350 add $1,650 if age 65 or older

Your 2019 online account is available if you are signing onto the account with the exact same User ID and password you used to create the account.

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the user ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

To access your prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Filed the wrong form!!!

If you have put in for a callback it will happen.  In the meantime.  Whatever information was entered into TurboTax would not be deleted.  If your itemized deductions did not exceed the standard deduction the information is still there it just wasn't filed.  

If you are having trouble accessing your account try this link for assistance.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies