turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

File 2018 taxes online ONLY!

I want to file my own 2018 taxes online only because I want to get refund direct deposit to my account

I know there are many websites they help you prepared prior year return. But then you have to mail them & expect mail in check refund. It’s a long process

other option I see is to get proconnect and efile it. But I’m not an tax preparer in any way

My brothers has proconnect & doesn’t want to sign off on my return for personal reason and willing to file my return as long as I choose “self-preparer” in proconnect. I will take full responsibility for any future liabilities that may or not come in future.  Is this a good option for me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

That is a discussion you will have to have with him  IF  he can still efile 2018 returns ... not all tax pros can do that after the filing season closes.  If he is not willing to take the responsibility of letting you use his professional program then that is on him ... personally I would not let anyone use my program for any reason. If you are not a tax professional you will probably get very lost ... it is not written for the DIY user ... it has no interview to follow.

Next ... you can still have direct deposit even it you mail it in.  If you want to use the TT 2018 downloaded program to complete a return then hand a signed paper copy in to him to transmit (and he agrees) then go ahead. Of course he will have to input what you did and if he believes the return to be incorrect or unfactual he has the right and duty to refuse filing your return.  Again that is a conversation you need to have with him. 

Yes I can still efile 2018 using proconnect 

if it’s not correct to allow anyone to use their proconnect to efile, then what is the purpose of “self-prepared” option?

I only have 2 W2s, (myself and spouse) no other deduction etc. simple return. I would still prefer to efile to speed the process of refund check 

if I choose mail in return to get direct deport, how certain are you that I will get direct deposit?

direct deposit will work as long as the account is in your name only and the account is open when the IRS processes your return. Your filing must be correct and complete with no issues. 

IRS is so far behind on paper returns, it will be many months before your return is processed. The extra time to issue a check, if necessary,  will be not noticeable.

You should always e-File if possible.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Please be aware that IRS e-File is going to shut down completely on November 21. You will not be able to e-File from November 21 until sometime in January (probably late January) when they reopen for the new tax season. They have not yet announced the reopening date. Don't wait until the last minute, because if your e-File is rejected you will not have time to fix it and resubmit it before the shutdown.

@stech wrote:

Yes I can still efile 2018 using proconnect 

if it’s not correct to allow anyone to use their proconnect to efile, then what is the purpose of “self-prepared” option?

I only have 2 W2s, (myself and spouse) no other deduction etc. simple return. I would still prefer to efile to speed the process of refund check 

if I choose mail in return to get direct deport, how certain are you that I will get direct deposit?

At this point I don't know who I am speaking to ... the owner of the proseries or the family member but let me clarify this for you ... the self prepared option is used ONLY if the client comes in with a completed return and only wants the ERO to transmit it.   To do this they must key in all the info from the presented ink signed paper return just as if they had prepared it themselves.  Then they keep a copy of the 8979 & the signed return in their files in case of an audit.  

This is NOT so the taxpayer can use the program to efile their own return ... there are rules to be followed when you agree to be an ERO no matter who completes the return in the professional program. 

Now since the preparer must SEE the entire return & keep copies of the W-2 forms I cannot possibly understand why "he" will not simply prepare and file the return for you since it is a simple return.  Not sure what the hesitation is at all ... again this is a conversation the 2 of you need to have. 

Yes there will be no issues with return as it’s simple. The bank account is under my name only. (Main taxpayer). Would there is issues even it’s MFJ return?

That is a question for your bank ... usually when there is one person's name from a joint return  on the account there are no issues.   So set up the DD and let it fly ... if for any reason the DD cannot happen the IRS will simply convert to a check mailed to the address on the return (which is the most important thing).

Does this apply for 2019 efile too?

Yes.

If I use TurboTax to prepare 2018 taxes and paper file with direct deposit. Do both spouses have to sign on paper return or can they sign Form 8879?

BOTH spouse MUST ink sign the paper return if mailed in  ... an 8879 is ONLY used by paid tax pros to efile a return.

What if someone in family is filling return without being paid using proconnect. Do we still need 8879?

Oh it is you again .... Mr. Proconnect who should know these rules if you are an ERO and if you don't know then you should be able to look them up or ask in the Proconnect forum or contact the Proconnect help line .

When using a professional program a form  8879 MUST be used if you are going to efile either as the tax pro OR  an  ERO.   If you are going to mail in a return then ONLY sign then 1040... do not use the 8879.

I’m asking for MFJ returns who complete 8879, do both have to sign or main (primary) taxpayer can sign? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies