Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PJ9322
Returning Member

Failed Validation

When I try to e-file, I get an error saying validation failed b/c an update is available for my program. When I check for updates, there are none. What can I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

73 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Failed Validation

Please see the suggestions below:

If you're on a PC, open TurboTax and select Check for Updates from the Online menu near the top. Tips:

• It's best to use a wired, high-speed connection when updating, both to save time and minimize data corruption.
  • If your connection drops in the middle of the update, try again; it should pick up where it left off.
  • If you're having trouble updating on your PC, try a manual update.

If you're using a Mac computer and you want to make sure you're up-to-date, quit and reopen TurboTax. If you're not on the latest release, the program will automatically download it.

If that doesn't work, you can force a download of the most recent update.

1. Open TurboTax and select the TurboTax menu.
  2. On your keyboard, hold down the Option key.
  3. This will change the Check for Updates menu option to Download Latest Updates...
  4. Selecting this option will force the most recent update for TurboTax to download and install.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
PJ9322
Returning Member

Failed Validation

Thank you for your response.

I tried to update from the menu and it didn't work.  I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the software and that worked.

Mipenpal

Failed Validation

The question states that the user checked for updates and there are none.  This response does not solve the issue.

Failed Validation

I tried all of that.  Getting "Failed Validation".  I uninstalled and reinstalled Deluxe 2020.  Still could not E-File Federal.  I have wasted about 3 hours this afternoon monkeying with this crummy piece of software--I expect much better.

Do you have any suggestions?  I am just gonna mail them in if it's going to take another weekend to fix this bug.

Phone technical support was more or less useless.  Wasn't sure who I was talking to.  Some guy in India.  Maybe sending my PII to the dark web.  Very creepy feeling this year.  Feels like fraud.

Failed Validation

Also getting the following when trying to e-file just Federal:

FAILED_VALIDATION. There is an update available for your version of TurboTax. Before you can file electronically, you'll need to get this update. To do this, go to the Online menu and select Check for Updates.

There are no updates available.  Tried the Manual update.  And everything else that everyone else has been trying.

TurboTax, we need some resolution!!!!

Failed Validation

I have this same issue. I tried the forced download update trick (well, good tricks work..) and go nowhere. I removed and reinstalled (that's not a short process). And still I have this issue.

Intuit, we have ONE WEEK before we're hosed and have to file paper. FIX THIS PLEASE.

A 20 year user of your software might not see another year at this rate. 

Failed Validation

Boo, epic fail Intuit. 

GregB1969

Failed Validation

Yes.  I have the same issue and have been loyal for about 20 years also.  

Really frustrated that intuit has screwed up this program.  

Speechless that you are not disturbed by the number of customers you will loose with this poor service.

Failed Validation

I am having this same issue, now a week from the filing deadline, have tried several days, updating the software, restarting my PC, no change. I really don't want to mail my taxes in as the eFile is a big part of why I even pay for Turbotax.

Failed Validation

Getting the same problem others have when attempting to e-file federal taxes.  Once the transmit button is pressed, Quicken comes back with "FAILED_VALIDATON.  there is an update available for your version of TurboTax.  Before you can file electronically, you'll need to get this update.  To do this, go to the Online Menu and select Check for updates".   I have the checked for the latest update and appear to have it (4/29/2021);  Turbotax says "Your software is up to date".   I've tried manually updating and uninstalling/reinstalling; still get the same Failed validation message.  Help!  it's almost 17 May when taxes are due!

Failed Validation

I spent 3 hours on support call and came up with a resolution.

I installed TurboTax from a CD that I purchased.

The solution involved downloading the install from https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download.  However, I did have to get a new License Code from the support agent.  Once I downloaded, I removed the CD installation and reinstalled with the downloaded file.  Once installed and running through the updates as usual.  It worked.

The CD installation that I purchased appeared to not be accepting the Updates as expected.

Failed Validation

Sorry, I should have also included that the support agent put the installation in My Downloads with the new Licence Key.  I know that on the CD there are instructions to download instead of using the CD, so maybe you all can correct you problem by following the download instructions.

Hopefully, you will not have to spend 3 hours on the phone.

Lgull

Failed Validation

I am having this samee issue I am going too try  and uninstall and downlaod from the website. 

Well unfortunately I can't download it fromthe site as I already installed it with the CD and the license was activated thisis very frustrating...

Failed Validation

So I have run repair, manual update, and uninstalled/reinstalled.  Still not able to efile a federal return.  WTH?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies