Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Extension question for State Return

I own several MLPs that issue K-1s and K-3s.   Since the K-3 doesn't come until late summer, I always file an extension for both state and federal taxes.  I create the extension through TurboTax and mail them in.

I just finished up my taxes, and I found something during my final review.   On my NC State tax form, there is a question "Were you granted an automatic extension to file your 2023 Federal income tax return, e.g., Form 1040?".

The box is checked "No".   I would have expected it to say "Yes", since I printed and mailed in both Federal and State exension forms before April 15.    I can over-ride this value and change to Yes.

Is the form I submitted prior to April 15 considered an automatic extension, or just an extension.  How should this box be checked if I mailed in an extension?

extension_question.png

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

on the face of the 4868 it says "automatic extension" which is true if filed on or before the due date. ("automatic" is kind of superfluous). the reason your state return says no is you mailed in the extension rather than filing electronically. Thus, Turbotax doesn't know if the extension was actually filed.

answer yes since no would require you to have filed a state extension otherwise your state return is late. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Please check back later. I will page Champs @Mike9241  and @nexchap 

on the face of the 4868 it says "automatic extension" which is true if filed on or before the due date. ("automatic" is kind of superfluous). the reason your state return says no is you mailed in the extension rather than filing electronically. Thus, Turbotax doesn't know if the extension was actually filed.

answer yes since no would require you to have filed a state extension otherwise your state return is late. 

Thanks.  You guys are great.

This may seem pretty basic,  but I have a question regarding exactly what I mail to the IRS.  On my print window, I have four selections selections:

-  All official forms required for filing

-  Tax Return Only

-  Tax Return, key calculation worksheets

- Tax Return, all calculation worksheets.

I would expect "All official forms required for filing" to be the same as "Tax Return Only".  When I print the Tax Return Only, it prints some additional worksheets on my state taxes.

I went into Turbotax and indicated I mailed my forms before the deadline.  It still didn't update, so I had to over-ride the automatic extension question, changing it to Yes.  My pdf that I print still has the extension form printed.  Do I have to file the extension form with my return?

Thanks for answering questions.

Mike

KarenL
Employee Tax Expert

You would want to print (and mail) all official forms required for filing. Sometimes there are schedules that need to be included with the tax return, but not all worksheets need to be included. Also, you don't typically need to include the extension form.  We recommend printing, or saving to PDF, all forms and worksheets for your own records.  That way, you'll also have them handy in case you do need to send in another form or worksheet. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies