turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Shrimp681

Every time I turn on Turbotax on same computer it asks me to enter activation code, last time it said I have used activation code maximum number of times?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

70 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Every time I turn on Turbotax on same computer it asks me to enter activation code, last time it said I have used activation code maximum number of times?

This error is caused by the Internet connection being unable to resolve connection to our server for license activation. There can be many reasons for this and they may not impact regular Internet usage and activity.

One of the following methods should resolve this issue. If they're successful, TurboTax will skip activation and open the starting screen where you can begin or continue your return.

If the product continues to prompt you for an activation code you have been unsuccessful.

Method 1: Temporarily disable your antivirus/anti-malware/firewall software

Method 2: Restart your router/modem

Method 3: Configure the TCP/IP settings

Method 4: IP config command line tool

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I've only installed the software on one computer. I've tried on the second computer but keep getting Error Code 603. This is ridiculous.

@krmeyer369 wrote:

I've only installed the software on one computer. I've tried on the second computer but keep getting Error Code 603. This is ridiculous.

I don't know if this will help, but a user anecdotally reported this worked for him/her.  It's quick and easy to try.  This is for a Windows PC.

• Close TurboTax.
  • Right-click on your desktop TurboTax icon, and choose Properties.
  • In the Properties popup, go to the Compatibility tab.
  • Place a checkmark for "Run this program as administrator."
  • Click Apply and OK/Save.
  • Launch TurboTax, and see if it still asks you to activate.
  • Please report back your results.

If you continue to have difficulty, unless you get additional suggestions in this thread, here's how to reach Customer Support during business hours:

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days.

You can use this contact form to get an incident number and phone number:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

rtl2

Going Administrator didn't work for me. :(

It always bothers me when people play at IT or I call it a doctor on TV.  You do not have to restart your router or modem.  Funny how everyone always says to do that.  BS

"

Method 1: Temporarily disable your antivirus/anti-malware/firewall software Method 2: Restart your router/modem Method 3: Configure the TCP/IP settings Method 4: IP config command-line tool"

The only thing that has changed is the code that TT wants now that they use the activation code.  This tells me nobody tested the new variable (activation code to see if there are bugs).  If one registers it once, it should be on the server at TT.

The above will not work, now if you really wanted to know,  take a data capture but I guarantee you it will be at TT end

It is a Turbo Tax issue.  The app reaches out to the server and more than likely the code per your purchase is not staying cached.  

SNA
Level 2

FIXED !

I had this problem this morning and went around in circles trying to solve the issue. 

After reading some other posts about external disks, I removed a 32GB USB blank but formatted memory stick in my machine and it worked...TurboTax fires up correctly. Put the stick back in and it requests me to enter an activation code. 

I have tried it 10 or 12 times and removing the stick makes it work and putting the stick back in causes the activation code request.

This stick was not in there when I installed Turbotax way back last December.

Does anyone have an idea what is happening here 

Alan,

You're mistakeningly implying this is totally a network issue. According to long troubleshooting conversations from problems activating the TurboTax 2019 last year, users are not required to reactivate at every single application startup if the initial activation was successful. You would think a year later and all the user complaints, Intuit would have fixed this problem by now. Yet, Turbotax 2020 has the same issue.

I've been using Turbotax since 1995.  You've tried and failed badly trying this activation process once before.  Many users including myself left for H&R Block back then.  If you're going to continue this process, than do it right!

PLEASE get the developer on this issue and fix the problem.

Gary

tta
Level 3

I found out that the USB flash drive from which I installed TurboTax2020 MUST be plugged in to avoid the activation demand from TurboTax. Why did I install TurboTax from a USB flash drive? Because my new laptop does not have a DVD/CD drive, duh. I had to pop the TurboTax2020 disc into an old machine that has a DVD/CDROM drive, created an ISO from the CD, saved the ISO to the flash drive, then plug the flash drive into my new laptop and install TurboTax2020 from there. Now the same flash drive must be plugged every single time I want to use TurboTax2020.  A damned bug from TurboTax.

Exactly.  I got a new Windows 10 laptop without a CD drive.  I haven't bought the 2020 program yet so I installed 2019 to test.  I downloaded 2019.  It installed ok, I activated it and it worked fine. 

I moved some test .tax files over using a flash drive.  Then when I started 2019 again it asked to activate again.  I tried not to panic and just closed it.  The flash drive was still plugged in so I took it out and started Turbo Tax 2019 again.  It opened and didn't ask to activate!  I bet that's why it recently asked me to activate again on my Desktop Win 8 also.  I had a flash drive plugged in at the time.  

tta
Level 3

In your case, the flash drive needs to be removed to avoid activation demand. In my case, the flash drive needs to be plugged in to avoid activation demand.

This is a BS answer.  Just like so many others I have the same issue.  This is a TT bug and needs to be resolved by them by elimination of the Activation requirement.  We paid good money for TT, I have done so for almost 20 years.  Installed on only one computer, activated properly and now can't access when ready to prepare my return.  Time to switch to another vendor.

For me this was due to having a thumb drive plugged in and active on my computer.  Once I ejected and removed the thumb drive all requests for Activation codes went away.  

atlmom2

running as admin does not work☹️

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies