turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cwd08051959
Returning Member

Efiling 2020 Return

I know that the IRS isn't accepting returns until Friday, the 12th, but can I go ahead and efile my return now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Efiling 2020 Return

Yes you can go ahead and e-file now.   Your return will be on the server until the IRS begins to accept/reject returns on 2-12.    Check it carefully before you e-file.  Once you e-file you cannot touch it if you discover that you made a mistake.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
cwd08051959
Returning Member

Efiling 2020 Return

Thanks!  I will do that (checking my return before efiling it).

cwd08051959
Returning Member

Efiling 2020 Return

Wonder exactly when, on Friday, the 12th, TurboTax will release the tax returns on their server ... at midnight, Thursday night, or sometime during the day on Friday?

Efiling 2020 Return

@cwd08051959 

May not be the 12th at all...could be anytime the whole week after.

The IRS computers cannot process the gazillion of files waiting all at once...in prior years it took about a week to catch up....and this year might be worse.   One year, they even had to stop for a few days to fix some processing problems.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
cwd08051959
Returning Member

Efiling 2020 Return

With the right computer system, they can.

Efiling 2020 Return

@cwd08051959 Do a little googling on how old the IRS's computer system is.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
cwd08051959
Returning Member

Efiling 2020 Return

Yeah, I know ... have they got past the abacus yet??  BTW, Efiled my 2020 return yesterday afternoon ... still Pending a little over 24 hours later.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies