Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eFile Rejection: TurboTax says return transmitted so can't resubmit

Hi, I submitted my parent's tax return and it was rejected with error message 031 (non matching prior year AGI). I obtained IRS transcript and confirmed I used the correct AGI. However, the IRS transcript showed a "computer" amount that was $1 less than the AGI they filed, so I resubmitted the return using that AGI thinking maybe a rounding issue caused the return to be rejected. I got another rejection email, but TurboTax now says the return was "transmitted" and will not give me the option to resubmit again. I was going to try submitting AGI of 0 to see if that works. As background, this is the first year eFiling their return (have filed paper copies in past). Also, my father passed away in 2019 and the return reflects he is deceased. Their filing status has always been married filing joint. I want to eFile for purposes of the stimulus payments. Please advise. Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertG
Expert Alumni

Eligible retirees and recipients of Social Security, Railroad Retirement, disability or veterans' benefits as well as taxpayers who do not make enough money to normally have to file a tax return will receive a payment.

This also includes those who have no income, as well as those whose income comes entirely from certain benefit programs, such as Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Retirees who receive either Social Security retirement or Railroad Retirement benefits will also receive payments automatically.

The IRS won't accept e-filed returns with no taxable income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It depends. Start by checking our E-File Status Lookup Tool or check IRS: Where's my refund? to get your current filing status.

For your state filing status:

State Return Refund Tracking

Once it is established that the return was submitted, then check these overview rules listed below when filing for someone who is deceased. If you need to amend, start with this resource: How do I amend(change or correct) a filed return?

If it was not electronically filed, see When a tax return can't be e-filed no matter what you do

Regarding what AGI to use, see What if I entered the correct AGI and I’m still getting an e-file reject?

How to file a return for someone who is deceased:

Federal:

Your mother will still use the filing status of married filing joint for 2019.

Hopefully, you added Form 1310, which is used to establish you as your husband's personal representative. As long as the Social Security Administration has already been notified of the taxpayer's death, you can proceed with the filing. Click here for: Can I e-file a tax return for someone who is deceased?

You do not need to attach a death certificate to the tax return. Instead, keep it for your records and provide it if requested.

IRS Resource: 2019 Publication 559: Survivors, Executors, and Administrators

State:

It depends on your specific state what form would be required. I recommend checking with the state individual income tax filing instructions. Some states would require a certificate showing your appointment, while other states have their own Form 1310, for example.

Click the link to find out How do I contact my state Department of Revenue? Form 1310 is needed for the federal filing when you are identifying yourself as the personal representative, but there may be a different requirement for your state. 

Regarding the stimulus payments, until the 2019 tax return is filed, the IRS will be using the 2018 tax return filed. Your mother will receive $2,400 if she qualifies even though your father has passed away. She will not need to pay back his portion.

Visit the following links for the most recent updates:

IRS Economic Impact Payment Information Center

IRS Coronavirus Tax Relief

TurboTax Corona Virus Tax Center Updates

Our condolences for your loss.

@mbggator

Hi, thank you for the information. They live in Florida, so I don't need the state income tax information. I checked the eFile status in TurboTax and it is "rejected." They had no taxable income, which is listed as a reason that a tax return can't be eFiled. I'm assuming that's why it keeps being rejected. Can you explain why no taxable income returns can't be eFiled? They owed tax in 2018 due to the sale of a property, but only social security income for 2019 which resulted in no taxable income. Thanks again.

RobertG
Expert Alumni

Eligible retirees and recipients of Social Security, Railroad Retirement, disability or veterans' benefits as well as taxpayers who do not make enough money to normally have to file a tax return will receive a payment.

This also includes those who have no income, as well as those whose income comes entirely from certain benefit programs, such as Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Retirees who receive either Social Security retirement or Railroad Retirement benefits will also receive payments automatically.

The IRS won't accept e-filed returns with no taxable income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies