turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-filing separately?

My son is living with us. So he depends upon us even though he got some small pays fro a part time job.

We declare that he is our dependent. Now I created two files from the software, one is for us joint marriage and the other one is for my son.

In the last step, we have to pay $29.99 for the state. Does it also apply for my son?

So I need to pay 2 x $29.99 since they are separately e-filings? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

E-filing separately?

It sounds like you are using the desktop software installed on your own computer. In that case, there is indeed a separate e-filing fee for each state tax return, even though there are no additional fees for filing more than one federal tax return.

There are three ways I can think of off the top of my head to avoid paying the state e-filing fee for your sons tax return.  1), print and mail it. 2), tell TurboTax that you will print and mail his state tax return so that you have a copy. Then, go to the your states tax website and look to see if they have a free e-filing system. Their e-filing system may not perform complex calculations or have an interview, but they may have a place where you can copy the numbers from his printed tax return into an online form which you submit online with the state for free.  Or 3, You could do as user SweetiJean suggested and create an online account for your son’s return.  TurboTax online is free if it is a simple return with no additional attachments like schedule one or schedule three for student loans or college tuition.  Or, the IRS free file version of TurboTax is free for any taxpayer with income under $36,000 even if they have additional forms in their file.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

E-filing separately?

How about using a free version for your son's tax return?

Try Free File: 

You qualify if your income was $36,000 or less, or $69,000 or less if active duty military, or if you qualify for Earned Income Credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

If you switch to Free File you must create a new account and new user ID.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4511011-what-happened-to-the-1040a-and-1040ez

Note:  If you do not qualify to use Free File then you will have to upgrade to Deluxe or higher in the paid versions of the software.   

Online Deluxe $60  State software $50

Or—-Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

E-filing separately?

It sounds like you are using the desktop software installed on your own computer. In that case, there is indeed a separate e-filing fee for each state tax return, even though there are no additional fees for filing more than one federal tax return.

There are three ways I can think of off the top of my head to avoid paying the state e-filing fee for your sons tax return.  1), print and mail it. 2), tell TurboTax that you will print and mail his state tax return so that you have a copy. Then, go to the your states tax website and look to see if they have a free e-filing system. Their e-filing system may not perform complex calculations or have an interview, but they may have a place where you can copy the numbers from his printed tax return into an online form which you submit online with the state for free.  Or 3, You could do as user SweetiJean suggested and create an online account for your son’s return.  TurboTax online is free if it is a simple return with no additional attachments like schedule one or schedule three for student loans or college tuition.  Or, the IRS free file version of TurboTax is free for any taxpayer with income under $36,000 even if they have additional forms in their file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies