turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E filed return changed status

I e file my return with Turbo tax for 2018, everything was fine and I got a refund, but now this return has a not e file status, why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Here's how to use your desktop program to get the efile status.  These steps are for the Windows program.  The Mac menu navigation will vary a bit.

• Launch your TurboTax program.
  • Open your return back up.
  • If this is the Windows version, in the top left corner of the  TurboTax interface, click on the FILE menu, and in the dropdown menu choose Electronic Filing.  
  • Then in the next menu choose  Check Electronic Filing Status.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

You mean your account doesn't say Accepted?  Did you use the Online verison?  That's common to end up with multiple accounts. First LOG OUT of whatever TurboTax account you're logged into right now. Then use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of user ID's for an email address. Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used
https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

Or did you use the CD/Download Desktop program on your computer?

I used the CD/Download Desktop program on my computer.  The return was accepted, and it had this status before,

Here's how to use your desktop program to get the efile status.  These steps are for the Windows program.  The Mac menu navigation will vary a bit.

• Launch your TurboTax program.
  • Open your return back up.
  • If this is the Windows version, in the top left corner of the  TurboTax interface, click on the FILE menu, and in the dropdown menu choose Electronic Filing.  
  • Then in the next menu choose  Check Electronic Filing Status.

Got it! Thanks!!

You're welcome.   There's also a form called "Electronic Postmark".  If you saved a PDF, it may be in the PDF.  Or you can go into Forms Mode, and in the left column list of forms you can choose Electronic Postmark to view, print, save, etc.  In that left column, it will likely be near the bottom of the list of the Federal reforms and before the state return forms list.

Excellent! Thanks!

jvela65

I just finished doing my taxes I accidentally chose print state return how do I change it to e file

@jvela65 wrote:

I just finished doing my taxes I accidentally chose print state return how do I change it to e file

Did you already efile the Federal return?   If so, since you didn't efile the state at the same time, you won't be able to separately efile the state return until the efiled Federal return has been accepted.  For most people that will be after January 27 when the IRS starts processing Federal returns (a few returns are pulled early for testing).

Also, all the forms in your state return must be ready and available for efiling.   When you go through the REVIEW tab, it should tell you if you are awaiting any state forms.   This table also shows the availability dates for various state forms:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

That being said, the way to change the filing method is to log in and open your return back up.   Go to the FILE section and go through the screens again there.   Switch the filing method for the state return to efile.  Then continue on to any subsequent screens and finally a screen to click a button "Transmit My Returns Now."

If you log in but can't open your return back up because TurboTax thought you were finished, click on "Add a State."   That doesn't really add one, but merely opens the return back up.

Again, if you already efiled the Federal return, you won't have the option to efile the state return until after the Federal return has been accepted.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies