turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-file rejected repeatedly. Already had filing fees taken out of bank account. Have an extension now for taxes so didn't actually file. Can I get a refund from TurboTax?

I paid over $100 to e-file state and federal and both rejected. Info I used is accurate but we have to talk with someone and I had to file an extension. So, TurboTax didn't actually file my taxes. I'd like to be refunded the money they withdrew from our bank account since they did not actually file our taxes.
Advice?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

E-file rejected repeatedly. Already had filing fees taken out of bank account. Have an extension now for taxes so didn't actually file. Can I get a refund from TurboTax?

There is no charge for e-filing with online.    The charge is for the use of the software and is the same whether you e-file or not.

A state will always reject if the Federal rejects.

You can fix the reason for the Federal reject and refile.   The most common reject is  AGI mismatch.

See this TurboTax FAQ on how to find your AGI

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301618

You can get free 2019 tax transcript from the IRS

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

If you filed late last year there is a good chance that the 2019 AGI never was entered into the e-file database. Try using 0 (zero) for the AGI.

If you filed an amended return use the AGI on the first filed tax return.

If it continues to reject then the AGI in the IRS database might be in error. Mail filing is the only option.

Also see: https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxvox/are-irs-security-tools-blocking-millions-people-filing-electr...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/howardgleckman/2021/04/26/are-irs-security-tools-blocking-millions-of-p...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I've tried those options as well. Yes we had an issue last year and that filing was delayed into the beginning of this year. So I have to figure out what the issue is and I'm reaching out to our Tax Advocate that helped last year. 

So then question again, although TurboTax didn't actually assist me in filing my taxes am I out that $100 plus or is there any way to receive a refund?

If you think TurboTax did not assist you,

try filling out your tax forms by hand next year.

All the blank forms are available at www.irs.gov 

Wow. That seems like an unnecessarily snarky comment for a simple question. Hopefully people are kinder to you if you ever decide to ask something. 

@cristinmarie22 wrote:

I've tried those options as well. Yes we had an issue last year and that filing was delayed into the beginning of this year. So I have to figure out what the issue is and I'm reaching out to our Tax Advocate that helped last year. 

So then question again, although TurboTax didn't actually assist me in filing my taxes am I out that $100 plus or is there any way to receive a refund?

If you filed late then the AGI in the IRS database would be 0. 

As I said above, you can mail the return if all else fails, but the cost is the same.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies