turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Due to the fact that we are in a pandemic will turbo tax file a economic hardship form on my behalf if i owe the irs?

The form is 8944 but it appears as if a tax preparer must fill it out for me. I owe the irs and cannot afford for a chunk of my money to be taken during this time.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Due to the fact that we are in a pandemic will turbo tax file a economic hardship form on my behalf if i owe the irs?

This form is not for individuals. It is for tax preparers experiencing a hardship.

Purpose of Form

Specified tax return preparers use Form 8944 to request an undue hardship waiver from the section 6011(e)(3) requirement to electronically file returns of income tax imposed by subtitle A on individuals, estates, and trusts.

No.  TurboTax is NOT a tax preparer - they are a tax software company for self-prepared tax returns.     *You* are the tax preparer. 

Form 8944 has nothing to do with self-prepared tax return that can either be e-filed OR mail filed.     It is a waiver for the registered "tax preparer" , not the tax payer, to not follow the IRS e-file requirements for paid preparers.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies