Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Early Withdrawal of Traditional IRA

Need to do 2020 taxes.  I took an early withdrawal from a traditional IRA in 2020. It was a qualified distribution due to disability, and  I have a letter from my doctor. I needed to take the distribution due to economic hardship due to disability but also due to financial consequences caused by Covid-19 resulting in quarantine to me and my household, and reduced income. When I went into my bank to make the withdrawal from the IRA, the bank manager said that despite my doctor letter explaining disability the bank  policy was to always code withdrawals prior to 59&1/2 as an early distribution, and that I should go to a tax accountant to "fix" that and get it coded correctly when doing my taxes.. Can I take care of this in Turbo Tax where I can fix the code so it is coded for disability, or do I have to go to a CPA since the 1099-R is coded as an early distribution? If I do it in TurboTax, is there a way to scan and upload the doctor's letter? Do I scan and upload the 1099-R, which I assume the IRS has already?  I can't afford to go to a CPA now, so I am really hoping I can take care of this with TurboTax. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Enter into box 7 of TurboTax's 1099-R form whatever codes are in box 7 of the Form 1099-R provided by the payer.

If the Form 1099-R for the distribution from the Roth IRA has code T or code Q and you properly indicate to TurboTax that you made your first Roth IRA contribution for some year prior to 2016, 2020 TurboTax will treat the distribution as nontaxable, not subject to any penalty and not includible on Form 8606.  You can still report the distribution as a CRD to reserve the option to repay the distribution within three years.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

this is what TurboTax says

For Form 1099-R, enter the distribution codes shown in box 7 on the actual Form 1099-R unless you know that the codes are incorrect.

A distribution code must be entered. Enter the code or codes that accurately describe the transaction.

It is important that the correct distribution codes be entered. If the codes on the form are incorrect, you should try to obtain a form with the correct codes from the payer. Failing that, enter the codes that accurately describe the transaction.

there is no way to upload a copy of the doctor's letter. so to E-file you can't include it

if you want to file by mail you can include a copy of the doctor's letter and hope the IRS reads it. since the return is already late make sure you use a method whereby you know the IRS received it. if you get a notice from the IRS charging a penalty. dispute it. write a letter of explanation and include the doctor's letter. it could be a year or more before you hear from the IRS, if at all, because it's far behind in processing prior years' mailed returns. even e-filed it may take a while or you may never hear at all from them 

the code should be 3  - disability 

you can ask to talk to another manager at the bank if there is one. from their standpoint you are kind of late in asking. it may be their policy but I'm sure other banks don't have such a policy. 

if they won't change it follow the above and I would ask the bank if they'll give you a letter stating that you presented a doctor's letter confirming your disability but it's their policy to code all pre 59-1/2 withdrawals as early distributions. they may refuse but if they do provide it and you get an IRS notice include it in your response.  

Do NOT change the code ... the issuer was correct.   Enter the code 1 as it is written on the 1099-R form and then follow the interview screens to use one of the form 5329 exceptions to the penalty if you qualify.   There is one for total and permanent disability.   It is still taxable on the federal return and some state returns but you can get rid of the penalty. 

Thank you so much for your response. It is helpful. 

dmertz
Level 15

If the 2020 distribution qualifies as a Coronavirus-Related Distribution, as would seem to be the case if you experienced adverse financial consequences because you were required to quarantine, you would generally be better off claiming the distribution as a CRD rather than using the disability exception.  A CRD is exempt from the early-distribution penalty, allows you to spread the taxable income over three years and is eligible to be repaid.  The disability exception only avoids the early-distribution penalty.

How does one "code" for a CRD? Will the software offer that option? Also, since there was only ~$5000 in the traditional IRA, I also withdrew from a Roth IRA. Would it be possible to code for both disability and  the CRD at the same time? Is there any scenario where coding for disability offers me any additional benefit than if I only coded for CRD? Either way, I believe you are saying I would be exempt from the 10% penalty, but the CRD allows me to spread out the taxes.  

dmertz
Level 15

A CRD is indicated by filing 2020 Form 8915-E.  TurboTax will prepare this form when you answer its questions to indicate that the distribution qualifies as a CRD.  Both distributions from the traditional IRA and the Roth IRA can be claimed as CRDs as long as the total does not exceed $100,000.

With regard to a retirement distribution, "disability" only applies as an exception to the early-distribution penalty.  When claimed as a CRD there is no early-distribution penalty to which to apply the disability exception.

If you withdrew from the Roth IRA no more than the original contributions in your Roth IRA, which come out first, the distribution from the Roth IRA is not subject to tax or penalty so there is no penalty exception to apply.  You would still benefit by claiming it as a CRD to allow the option of repaying the distribution within three years, the same as with the traditional IRA.

I have not put money into the Roth IRA in many years - greater than 5 years. I don't think I exceeded contributions, but just in case, since the Roth IRA is coded already for disability on the 1099-R, even if I would not need to, can I both enter the code for disability and file Form 8915-E for the Roth IRA?

dmertz
Level 15

Enter into box 7 of TurboTax's 1099-R form whatever codes are in box 7 of the Form 1099-R provided by the payer.

If the Form 1099-R for the distribution from the Roth IRA has code T or code Q and you properly indicate to TurboTax that you made your first Roth IRA contribution for some year prior to 2016, 2020 TurboTax will treat the distribution as nontaxable, not subject to any penalty and not includible on Form 8606.  You can still report the distribution as a CRD to reserve the option to repay the distribution within three years.

Great! This answer was so helpful! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies