turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcgruder

Does anyone know why is turbotax is showing our married filing jointly 2019 state tax refund as double the amount it was on the State and Local Tax Refund Summary?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Does anyone know why is turbotax is showing our married filing jointly 2019 state tax refund as double the amount it was on the State and Local Tax Refund Summary?

Where exactly in the program are you seeing your 2019 tax refund doubled? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm having the same problem and I've gotten the complete joke of a runaround with their lack of technical support. Amounts shown in the summary are exactly double what was entered and it can be verified by simply clicking the "edit" tab which shows the correct amounts. Now I don't know if I need to halve them or leave it incorrect. Thanks TurboTax for the bad free software and lovely support of the same.

I zeroed the refund amount blocks under "edit" which then displays the correct refund(s) for state(s) in the summary page. That being said, it comes back and says that the refunds aren't taxable anyway so it didn't make a difference for what it's worth. 

In case someone at TurboTax cares to know, the form is not "doubling" the amount. It's actually taking the refund amount, and adding it back to itself (i.e. it's a sum, not a product that you're looking for in your coding). I found that out by changing the $439 to $220. While it was displaying $678, it now displayed $659. Once I zeroed the amount in "edit" it now correctly displays $439.

I'm seeing the same problem as well.  Married filing jointly, state tax refund auto-populated from TurboTax Online 2019 into TurboTax Online 2020.  Under "State and Local Tax Refund Summary my state refund for 2019 is listed as $200, but the true amount was $100.  If I click "Edit", I get a screen "Tell us about your refund", and the true $100 amount shows up in "Total Refund Received in 2020".  If I change this entry to $1, then go back up to the summary screen, the summary amount now shows $101.  So TurboTax seems to have a behind-the-scenes amount ($100) that was copied from the 2019 return, and is then adding it to whatever one types into the "Total Refund Received in 2020" box.  So this is either a bug, or confusing labeling for this box (which perhaps could instead be called a "Refund Adjustment" or something like that).  So TurboTax techs, what should we do -- enter $0 in the "Total Refund Received in 2020" box?

Go to Federal

Wages and Income

Other Common Income

Refunds Received for State/Local Tax Returns

Revisit

Delete the entry there

Enter your state refund again.

dpetgrave4
Returning Member

I am having the same issue. Has anyone found out the resolution to this? Seems like a bunch of different responses to this here but none of them clearly provides a solution on what to do (if anything) to ensure what is filed is correct. Simply put, do we leave the summary as doubled despite the details in edit being half the amount or do we change the amount in the edit. 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

The instructions provided by @MaryM428 look to be the solution to this experience.

1. Click "Federal" in the left hand menu
  2. Click the "Income & Expenses" tab
  3. Scroll down to "Other Common Income"
  4. "Show More"
  5. "Start/revisit" the "Refunds Received for State/Local Tax Returns" topic
  6. "Delete" the entry there and finish the interview
  7. "Start/Revisit" the topic again 
  8. Re-enter your state refund

The entry does need to be correct as this may affect your taxable income calculations if you itemized on your 2019 return. 

dpetgrave4
Returning Member

These instructions do not solve the problem. I see no "Other Common Income" section therefore 3-8 does not exist for what I see.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

On the "Income & Expenses" page in TurboTax online, scroll to the bottom of the blue highlighted box and continue scrolling until you see the "Other Common Income" topic or a hyperlink to see all income topics (which will then expand the list of topics).  

Thanks for your comment DMark. 

I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information on this particular issue within the forum. Also, I'm seeing high level users stating that it's a known issue for some users, but that was posted on posts from 2020 about 2019 TT and the same response on current threads regarding 2020 TT in 2021. I don't know if that's very reassuring that its just a known issue. 

If I didn't file itemized deductions in 2019, can I just ignore this stupid field and whatever number is inserted there? Based on what you said and what I read others say, it seems it's not taxable and won't make a difference anyway. I even played around with the number to see if it changed the fed/state refund amounts and nothing happened. 

So what's your advice? Just leave whatever the heck TT put in there, don't try to understand why it is what it is, and then move on? It's getting down to the wire, and this annoying bug has paused any further progress on getting this done before the deadline. Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies