Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does anyone know why i keep getting rejected when i try to amend my federal e-file return ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies

Does anyone know why i keep getting rejected when i try to amend my federal e-file return ?

what's the rejection message and code. 

this is the only thing they give me: reject code NoXpathAvailable

I already filed my taxes for 2020 but they just the American Rescue plan 

I am getting the same error code and don't know what to do.

I am too, if anyone knows please let me know.

Ditto

Federal return rejection  Reject Code NoXpathAvailable

From what i understand the IRS is saying to NOT file an amend to your federal based on the new tax break they are already handling it and will be issuing the money based of your eligibility and the paperwork they already have. If your state requires you to file an amended return you will have to, however Turbo Tax Refuses to allow you to amend only the state and not the federal so it will attempt to E-file your amended return federally and it will bounce back. You will need to follow your state guidelines and maybe reach out to their tax department for instructions on how to amend just your state taxes.

rhett11

Supposedly, the IRS will send you the Federal refund difference without having to amend but if you do have to amend the state, Turbo doesn't allow just the state.  So like the previous poster wrote, the Fed tax will refile electronically and the IRS will reject it because they're already doing it for you.  The problem is that you can print out your state amendment forms, but as part of the instructions, you're supposed to also mail in a copy of your federal return, but because its in rejected status I don't know how that will work.  In CA you can't amend electronically and it has to be mailed.  I don't know if all states are that way.

ashley55

So, are we to do anything if our federal got rejected after it's already been filed? 

iblouis

If one uses the non-filer application on the IRS site to sign up for the Stimulus Payments, they will not allow you to e-file. They don't send a message letting you know that; however, you may get a letter later.  

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

1. No Xpath Available is an error code when data in the return is missing or invalid. Keep in mind that the federal amended return can be e-filed, but the state amendment can only be e-filed in Georgia, Michigan, New York or Vermont. Do not set your state amendment to e-file in this case. It will have to be printed and mailed.

In the File section of TurboTax, be sure to set the state to be paper filed.

Keep in mind that the 2020 tax law changes enacted March 11, 2021 do not necessarily require an amended federal return, buy may require an amended state return.

For more information, see: 

Do I need to amend?

Do I need to amend my state if I amend my federal

Do I need to amend my state return to update my unemployment? and How do I contact my state Department of Revenue?

2. If the return is rejected after e-filing, it has not been submitted. TurboTax can help. Go back into the return to fix the error and try again. For more information, see: How do I fix a rejected return?

3. Keep in mind if the non-filer used the non-filer portal, that is their method of "filing" a 0 return. The social security number used cannot be duplicated to e-file again. TurboTax allows free amended returns only when the original return was e-filed through TurboTax.

@gabbiejones18

@kaiitlynnmarie

@barneykeys

@rhett11

@ashley55

@iblouis

I also keep getting the same error message, even after trying to fix my federal return with TT, since the software automatically filed an amended federal return when I was only trying to file an amended state return. I was able to print out my amended state return and get that mailed in, but will TT or the IRS be fixing my federal return for me? Should I be worried about the rejected federal returns and/or receiving my refund checks?

@nikixmarie 

If you successfully efiled the original return  and only the amended return was rejected you have nothing to worry about.

If your original return was rejected then to fix the error and resubmit the return did NOT require an amendment so if you clicked on the amend button by accident you need to remove the 1040X to send the return once all the changes have been made. 

How do I cancel or undo an amended return in TurboTax Online?

If you started amending your tax return by accident and would like to cancel the amendment:

1. Open your return if it’s not already open.
  2. In the left menu select Cancel amend.
  3. Select Yes, I want to cancel my amended return.

How do I cancel or undo an amended return in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

If you started amending your federal return by accident and would like to cancel the amendment, follow this process to correctly "unamend" your federal return:

1. Open your return.
  2. Switch to Forms Mode (Windows instructions | Mac instructions).
  3. In the left pane, select Form 1040X.
    • Windows: After the form is generated in the right pane, click the Delete Form button at the bottom of the window.
    • Mac: From the Forms menu, select Remove Form 1040X.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the 1040X from your return
  5. Important: Go back through the TurboTax interview and undo any changes you made after you selected the option to amend your 2018 return, as merely deleting the 1040X will not undo those manual entries for you.

State Amendments

The best way to "unamend" your state return is to go through your state return from the beginning and keep your eyes peeled for amend-related screens or questions.

The amend question usually appears right at the beginning or towards the end of the state interview (never in the middle).

Correct any entries that have to do with an amended return, e.g.:

• Answer No when asked if you want to amend;
  • Clear any amend-related checkboxes;
  • Delete entries in the tax year field.
  • Note: In a few state programs, you actually have to answer Yes to the amend question so you can revisit the screens that contain the information you want to delete.

If you still can't get rid of your state amendment form, try clearing your state return and starting over.

so I have a question if my tax preparer put single for my filing status and I end up having to have a amendment return done can it get rejected by someone putting head of household on my amendment return 

If you are eligible for HOH filing status then changing that on the amended return is perfectly fine.  

Am I Head of Household?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894553-do-i-qualify-for-head-of-household
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2900097-what-is-a-qualifying-person-for-head-of-household

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies