turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does anyone know if there is a problem with IRS accepting the new 1040 for seniors? Mine was rejected because the AGI amount was wrong. The amount was veried at IRS. ????

It was also entered by TurboTax from last years form.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Does anyone know if there is a problem with IRS accepting the new 1040 for seniors? Mine was rejected because the AGI amount was wrong. The amount was veried at IRS. ????

The AGI error has nothing to do with the new form which is EXACTLY like the standard 1040 form EXCEPT it has larger font. 

What if I entered the correct AGI and I’m still getting an e-file reject?

There are a few possible reasons why you’re still getting an e-file reject.

If you:

• Filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time—try entering 0.
  • Amended your return last year—make sure you’re using the AGI from your original return, not the amended one. (If you only have a 1040X form, it’s on line 1, column A.)
  • Rounded your AGI to the nearest dollar—be sure to round up when it’s 50 cents or more and down when it’s 49 cents or less.
  • Filed with your spouse last year—you and your spouse have the same 2017 AGI. (Don’t split the AGI amount or enter 0 for one of you.)

If you’re still having trouble, we suggest that you check with the IRS to make sure that the copy of your return is the same as what they have in their records. To do this, you can order a tax return transcript.

If you’ve tried everything and nothing works, you can still file a paper return by printing out copies of your federal and state returns and mailing them. We’ll include File by Mail Instructions on where to send your returns and what forms, if any, you need to include.

Related Information:

None of those things apply. The amount was fed directly from last years TurboTax refund and the amount is the same as what IRS has when I went to their site and looked.

For anyone having to paper file remember you must include all of your 1099s, DIVs, and W2s. Not having to pay for the extra postage is why I have been using TurboTax for years.

As I explained to you privately ....  TT has no control over the IRS accepting your return.  If they will not accept the AGI you entered and using a zero will not work either ...  then mailing the return is the only option.

Since it was the TT software that entered the amount and as I explained there was no amended return or late filing the problem is on your company. I would like a refund of the amount I paid to electronically file my state taxes.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

If you would like to contact customer service, start by clicking on Contact Us Answering the questions will help to ensure that your call is properly routed.

The AGI didn't match what the IRS has in their database. Here's how you can fix it

How do I fix a rejected return?

You can find your 2018 AGI In a number of ways:

• In your TurboTax Online or Mobile app account under Your tax returns and documents
  • On your 2018 originally filed tax return, form 1040 (Line 37), 1040A (Line 21), 1040EZ (Line 4), 1040NR (Line 36), Form 1040X (Line 1, column A)
  • By ordering a transcript on the IRS Get Transcript site, or buy a full copy of your return by following the instructions here.

The IRS requires your AGI for identity verification.

How do I find last year’s AGI?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have had the same problem with the 1040SR. My husband passed away last year, and he was a senior, I am not.  I filed jointly, with the deceased indications on my forms. 

But the return has been rejected several times, the reason given was the AGI did not match. I acquired the transcript from the IRS and put in the correct amount-mine balance was off by a dollar. The return was still rejected. 

Very frustrating. My question is, as the surviving spouse filing jointly, should the form be a regular 1040-as I don't qualify as a senior (I'm 55)? 

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

The 1040-SR is fundamentally the same form as the 1040, but blown up and rearranged slightly to make it easier to read for those with visions issues.

In fact, I imagine that the electronic version that is sent to the IRS when you e-file is identical to that of the 1040 - the e-file version is just data with no actual forms or line or boxes.

The IRS says: "If you e-file your return, you generally won’t notice much of a change..." In fact, the only difference is in the presentation.

So 1040-SR vs 1040 is not the cause of a rejection when e-filing.

My question was:

Is it possible that the rejection was because I was widowed this year, filing jointly-but I am not a senior? Because the AIG matches. What are other reasons that the IRS rejects e-filed tax returns?

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

There could be a number of reasons why a return is rejected. Did you receive an email that contains a rejection code? 

Didn't get an email? Sign in to TurboTax, select Fix my return, and you'll see your reject code and explanation.

Please click How do I fix a rejected return? to learn more. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies