Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

moski81

Do I need to pay the AMT because I took the standard deduction?

Why do I have to pay more taxes with the AMT just because I took the standard deduction
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RalphH1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Taking the Standard Deduction does not in itself trigger the “Alternative Minimum Tax.” It’s just one of many things included in the calculation. Here’s a TurboTax article on the subject which is a good summary.

If you look at Form 6251 (which will print with your TurboTax return if you have AMT), you will see that the Standard Deduction is subtracted from regular taxable income on line 2a. (It is a good idea to try itemizing in this case, even if it it’s going to be lower than the Standard amount. But if you have a state return too, pay attention to the overall result.) However, the rest of Part I shows us a long list of other deductions which are adjusted downward, and income items which are adjusted upward, for AMT purposes.

Whatever big numbers you’re seeing on your own 6251 will explain basically why you have AMT. (You may not want to know the details! But they’re here, if you do.) Especially important, however, is that regular taxable income amount (on line 1), as the likelihood of AMT increases as income goes up. (Although admittedly AMT has crept downward through the brackets over the decades, showing up on the tax returns of many more not-so-wealthy taxpayers...)

@moski81, if you’d like to post details about your Form 6251, someone here can probably be more specific about your AMT situation... 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RalphH1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Taking the Standard Deduction does not in itself trigger the “Alternative Minimum Tax.” It’s just one of many things included in the calculation. Here’s a TurboTax article on the subject which is a good summary.

If you look at Form 6251 (which will print with your TurboTax return if you have AMT), you will see that the Standard Deduction is subtracted from regular taxable income on line 2a. (It is a good idea to try itemizing in this case, even if it it’s going to be lower than the Standard amount. But if you have a state return too, pay attention to the overall result.) However, the rest of Part I shows us a long list of other deductions which are adjusted downward, and income items which are adjusted upward, for AMT purposes.

Whatever big numbers you’re seeing on your own 6251 will explain basically why you have AMT. (You may not want to know the details! But they’re here, if you do.) Especially important, however, is that regular taxable income amount (on line 1), as the likelihood of AMT increases as income goes up. (Although admittedly AMT has crept downward through the brackets over the decades, showing up on the tax returns of many more not-so-wealthy taxpayers...)

@moski81, if you’d like to post details about your Form 6251, someone here can probably be more specific about your AMT situation... 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies