Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Do I have to keep all prior versions (years) of TurboTax installed on my PC or can I just keep the latest version?

@goyanks The license codes began with 2019---earlier years do not have a code.   The IRS and TurboTax save returns for seven years.  You should save your returns as pdf's so that you can access them from your own hard drive.   We see a lot of users who forget to do that and then they forget how to access their multiple online accounts.

If you used the CD/download you do not need the actual software on your hard drive if you saved the return as a pdf.  You can open a pdf without the software.   If you are trying to open a tax file, then yes, you need the specific software for the specific tax year.

SAVE YOUR TAX RETURN !

EVERY year before mid-October you should save a copy of your tax return as a pdf and print a copy of it for your records.  That way you will not be searching online frantically when you need it for a lender, FAFSA forms, your next tax return, etc. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900937-why-should-i-save-a-pdf-copy-of-my-return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899779-what-s-the-difference-between-the-tax-data-file-and-the-pd...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1912466-how-do-i-save-my-return-as-a-pdf-in-the-turbotax-software-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1912533-how-do-i-save-my-return-as-a-pdf-in-the-turbotax-software-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Do I have to keep all prior versions (years) of TurboTax installed on my PC or can I just keep the latest version?

No, I did not want to know that.. What I want to know is if all those years of doing it in Turbo Tax have to be kept on my computer..

I have all previous versions used, and their "keys". I also have all versions backed up and saved. I just want to know if I need to have all of them taking up room on my computer...

@Smoki Please read more thoroughly.   If you have saved your returns as pdfs you do not need the software hogging up room on your hard drive if you want to uninstall it.   You only need the software if you think you will want to open a tax file and make changes.   You can view and print returns saved as pdfs if you have a pdf viewer like Adobe.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/data-systems/difference-tax-data-file-pd...

Since you only have three years to amend for a better refund, you could at least get rid of the software older than 2019----IF you have saved the files as pdfs.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

And if he forgot save the PDFs or his hard drive gets accidentally hit by a meteor (but the .tax2021 file miraculously survived because it is stored on backup drive)? He's what? Effed? The whole point of software dev (and IT in general) is to avoid disasters by planning for them as part of the software build. That includes backwards compatibility and regression testing. Otherwise. what are we paying $75 for? It sure isn't for the pretty fonts.

You asked if it is necessary to keep the software on your hard drive.   Keep it or do not keep it--up to you.   Print paper copies for your records---or do not print them.   

"What if he forgot to save them.....what if a meteor strikes.....etc. etc. etc......"

If you used desktop software downloaded/installed from a CD to your own computer, then the tax files are stored locally on your own hard drive or any backup device you used like a flash drive.  They are not stored online.  If you cannot recover them due to a hard drive failure, etc. you can get a free transcript from the IRS or for a fee of $43, an actual copy of your tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

You want backward capability---not a bad idea.   Just giving you the reality as it is right now and trying to answer the question as to whether keeping the software on your computer  for years is absolutely necessary.

What if I purchased online software through Costco.  Is that considered purchasing from TurboTax?

Thanks for your answer, even though, it implied a lot more.. All I asked was if the prior years had to be kept online. I was just verifying.

I always print my return and actually keep a backup copy as well. 

You didn't have to "talk down" to anyone when giving an answer as you tend to do often. 

MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

It depends, you may want to keep the most recent 3 years of software incase you need to amend at the very least. If not you may need to download software again, and go through the trouble of looking up license codes. Having the software on your computer allows for amendments at the very least. Always save a copy, which it sounds like you do on your backups, so you can import last year tax return onto the current year tax return. But having the software from previous years is not truly necessary, but can help if needing to amend.

Period of Limitations that apply to income tax returns

1. Keep records for 3 years if situations (4), (5), and (6) below do not apply to you.
  2. Keep records for 3 years from the date you filed your original return or 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later, if you file a claim for credit or refund after you file your return.
  3. Keep records for 7 years if you file a claim for a loss from worthless securities or bad debt deduction.
  4. Keep records for 6 years if you do not report income that you should report, and it is more than 25% of the gross income shown on your return.
  5. Keep records indefinitely if you do not file a return.
  6. Keep records indefinitely if you file a fraudulent return.
  7. Keep employment tax records for at least 4 years after the date that the tax becomes due or is paid, whichever is later.

The following questions should be applied to each record as you decide whether to keep a document or throw it away. Having the software allows you to amend up to the past three years of return depending on date filed/paid.

@melwil

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Nobody can make tax programs backward compatible.  Each year is completely separate.   The tax laws and rules and forms change too much each year.  

And for people trying to open the .tax file in the same year program (one person above was trying),   After you get the program reinstalled the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

Mac user here, installed TurboTax on my 2018 Mac Mini from CDs for 2021 and 2022 returns.  TurboTax 2022 will not directly open my old .tax2021 file; instead, it asks if I want to transfer the data in order to start a 2022 tax return. I have deleted the TurboTax 2021 app to save hard drive space and will probably do the same for 2022 once I get my refunds, but I am definitely keeping both years' CDs given the IRS 3-year deadline on keeping records.

Anyone in this situation will want to save PDF files of the tax returns with worksheets), and save backups of the PDFs, and maybe save printed copies.

Any version of Turbotax will only open the year it was designed for.  It can import the prior year to start a new return but it can't open an older return.

Because Apple deprecates older versions of their software faster than Microsoft, it is more likely that Mac users will run into the problem of older versions not installing on new hardware, even if you have the CD or the installer disk image.  And older versions that were previously installed may not run after a major OS update. 

Loneamigo
Returning Member

For:  Michelle Lo (above) or any other Turbotax representatives:

So will all older Turbotax software still install and run normally (2019, 20, 21) on a windows 11 computer?  I want to make sure they will all still run on a new computer with Win 11 so the tax files can still be opened if I want to look back at various forms and worksheets from those years without having to get onto a computer running older windows operating systems.  I hope so, otherwise that would be ridiculous...
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support and request to speak to a tech support agent who can provide the system details you've requested. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Loneamigo 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Loneamigo Do you need to move all the programs or just your returns?  Your returns are not in the program but in separate files.

You only need the file ending in .tax2021 to transfer into 2022.

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2017, .tax2018 or .tax2019 or .tax2020 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  You should also have the pdf files of each year.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax. 

Also if you haven't done it,  I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed to view or print your return in the future like to get a mortgage or loan, etc.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

The programs need to be installed from the CD or download them again.  You don't need to install them unless you need to amend or open a return.  They only support the last 3 years so you might not be able to update older years or download any state programs you need.

That's only for the past three years.  You are out of luck if you need to access an earlier return.   If you can install the old TT software, you are still unable to get updates. 

Much earlier versions (e.g., 2013 or older) will not install on Windows 10 or 11. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies