Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

heavy208
Returning Member

Disaster Distribution

FINALLY! The issue here is very poor wording on TurboTax side.

I added the amount in line 9 to the first box which I initially left blank... I also added the amount in line 17 to the second box which I left blank.

Disaster Distribution

Thank you. I did end up just putting zero because I couldn’t e-file without that input. 

Disaster Distribution

@heavy208 Just did some more testing on an online TurboTax edition.

When just entering an amount for 2020 Form 8915-E, Line 9 only, that amount did Not flow to the Form 1040 Line 5b

However, by also entering the same amount for 2020 Form 8915E, line 9, if you checked the box on that line, enter 0, then the amount did flow to the Form 1040 Line 5b.

Try this and see if your tax refund decreases or the taxes owed increases

Disaster Distribution

@heavy208 wrote:

FINALLY! The issue here is very poor wording on TurboTax side.

I added the amount in line 9 to the first box which I initially left blank... I also added the amount in line 17 to the second box which I left blank.

I was writing my message at the same time you posted.  We both got the same result.

heavy208
Returning Member

Disaster Distribution

Thank you for your persistence.

This took me some 3 hours!!!!

buzzaccount
Returning Member

Disaster Distribution

I downloaded the latest TT updates today 3/28/22 but the 2019 COVID Form 8915-F is still not available in TT but was supposed to be available 3/24/22.  What is the delay??  I want to get my taxes done now!!!

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Disaster Distribution

It is available and was released on March 24th.  Please use the steps below to enter your one third taxable amount for 2021.

1. Wages & Income > Retirement Plans and Social Security 
  2. IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R) >  Start, Revisit or Update > Continue
  3. Answer Yes  'Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2021?
  4. Answer Yes, You had a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution
  5. Complete the Information using your 2020 Tax return > Continue  (use either section but not both (Pension or IRA depending on your situation)
  6. Enter any amount you may have  repaid in 2021, if applicable
  7. Finish the entry for your spouse if applicable or just click Continue
  8. Complete any additional retirement questions as you move through this section
  9. Continue until you have finished and returned back to the Wages & Income Screen.
  10. Do NOT stop and change sections without completing it.

@buzzaccount

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Disaster Distribution

@buzzaccount wrote:

I downloaded the latest TT updates today 3/28/22 but the 2019 COVID Form 8915-F is still not available in TT but was supposed to be available 3/24/22.  What is the delay??  I want to get my taxes done now!!!

Click on Forms.  When in Forms mode click on Open Form in the upper left of the screen.  Type in 8915-F.  The form should be selectable.

To complete the Form 8915-F -

You must go to the Retirement Income section of the program for a Form 1099-R to be able to enter your 2nd year of the 2020 distribution -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home & Business)

Click on Wages & Income

Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security

On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click on the Start or Update button

On the screen Did you get a 1099-R in 2021? Click on NO, if you did not receive a 2021 Form 1099-R

If you had a Covid-19 related distribution in 2020 and selected to spread the distribution over 3 years -

Answer Yes when asked Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2021?

Answer Yes when asked if you took a Qualified 2020 Disaster Distribution

Check the box that this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020

In the box 2020 Form 8915-E, line 4, column b - Enter a 0

If the 2020 distribution was from an account that was Not an IRA

2020 Form 8915E Line 9 - Enter 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution in both boxes for Line 9

If the 2020 distribution was from an IRA account

2020 Form 8915E Line 17 -  Enter 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution in both boxes for Line 17

Do not enter anything in the other boxes, leave them blank (empty)

The 1/3 of the amount from the 2020 distribution will be entered on the 2021 Form 1040 Line 4b if from an IRA or on Line 5b if from a retirement plan other than an IRA

buzzaccount
Returning Member

Disaster Distribution

That worked!  Thanks for the clarification.  

lak377

Disaster Distribution

I e-filed my return at the beginning of March, not realizing that I needed to include 1/3 of the 2020 distribution.  Is there a special way to amend for this since it wasn't in the software?

What text should be included at the top of the 1040X?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Disaster Distribution

No just regular Amend procedures should be followed.  In your description you will explain the error.

Please do not submit an Amended return until your original return has processed.  We have noticed that the IRS is making those corrections automatically if you chose the speial 3 year relief for 2020.  If so, no amendment would be necessary.

Just in case here is how to amend using TurboTax

There are a few things you need to know before you can start the amendment process:

1. To amend your 2021 return, you need to use the same TurboTax account that you used to file your original 2021 return.
    • If you don’t see your 2021 return under Your tax returns & documents on the Tax Home page, you might be in the wrong account. Use our account recovery tool to find all of your accounts.
  2. Make sure you really need to amend, and that your 2021 return was accepted in TurboTax or paper-filed through the mail. You can't amend a return that hasn't been filed yet.
  3. If you don’t need to amend, and instead want to view, print, or download your 2021 return, follow these instructions.

When you're ready to amend, select your product below and follow the instructions.

TurboTax Online

TurboTax CD/Download

You will amend by adding the additional income to the return.

@lak377

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Disaster Distribution

I'm having the exact same issue!! So frustrating! I'll let you know if I find anything...

Disaster Distribution

Hi 

Today is 03/30/2022. I try to complete the 401K distribution to me in 2020 and I spread over 3 years. Now I tried to file the 2nd 1/3 on my tax return and it's keep asking me to re-visit Form 1099-R Retirement topic. I saw the post said go to form 8915F to complete but how to complete that form? Please guide me step by step

Thanks

Disaster Distribution

Hi buzzaccount,

I tried to follow your instruction and it did not work for me. The 1/3 of year 2020 did not flow to 2021 tax year on form 1040 line 5b as you mentioned below. Please advise more. Thanks

Disaster Distribution

Go to page 3 of the thread to response from DoninGA. That actually works and now my taxes are filed!! Good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies