Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Disaster Distribution

This thread may be dead, but this issue is still relevant in 2023 and no real fixes have been made for this year.

When review comes up, there is always an issue that needs to be addressed. The disaster distribution box is always checked, even though I have not checked it, nor received any disaster distribution, nor received a 1099R. I have answered NO to the correct question and to no resolve. I have talked with 3 tax experts that have not been able to help or give me a straight answer or solution. The second 2 "experts" disconnected the call on either the computer or the phone and acted like we couldn't reconnect. One of those two, called me back over two hours later and I had to re explain everything. He said he would email me a refund request, but failed to do so. Instead all I have is an email stating my case was resolved. Apologies for the rant, it's been a major inconvenience as I am trying to submit my taxes to be able to close on a house.

Disaster Distribution

As it appears, or at least in my situation, none of us have taken this distribution.  We are just trying to get the box unchecked that remains checked and causes us to not be able to file.  A date on a fix would be great.  

If I may reiterate, I do NOT need to wait for the form to be filed as I have NOT taken this distribution.  Please just give us an update on when the issue has been resolved.  This is clearly a TurboTax issue, and not an IRS issue.  There is NO FORM that we need to wait on to file.  Only a box that refuses to be unchecked.

I hope this clears up any confusion the tax experts may have.

Thank you.

Disaster Distribution

Apologies for my third post.

But if this issue cannot be resolved, an option to clear and start over after already paying for taxes would be great. That way we can at least redo the taxes and see if the issue persists. If this is not an option, being able to request a refund would also be a great option, as the software currently makes it impossible to e-file the taxes currently, and as some of us are on sensitive timelines, we would like to take our business elsewhere. I would appreciate not wasting money on something that is not able complete the task that was advertised. 

Again,

Thank you.

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Disaster Distribution

Our TurboTax team is still working to resolve this. Please see this Help Article for more information and to sign up to get follow-up notifications. 

If you would like to inquire about your refund request, please feel free to contact Customer Support so they can assist you with this. You will want to use the keywords billing issues when you call so you get to the right person.

@Stephenslevib

mkp777

Disaster Distribution

The 8915 tax form wasn't available?????

So I did last years taxes without it? Everything seemed hunky dori because turbo tax didn't even consider the 8915 forms. 

How is this not a complete liability on turbo tax??????

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do and I'm immersed in tax lingo and legal speak until I don't know what way is up. 

THIS SUCKS. 

Now I have to shut down this turbo tax software and go to a tax pro and figure out how much I now OWE to the IRS because they didn't have the 8915 form available last year when I did my taxes!!!!!!

Turbo tax COMPLETELY dropped the ball on this!

Disaster Distribution

@mkp777 The form 8915-F was available for both the desktop and online editions on March 9, 2023.

If you are using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions update your software to the latest release.  Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen and then click on Check for Updates.

mkp777

Disaster Distribution

I did that. 

Several times. 

It STILL does not prompt me at any time about form 8915. 

Also, this still leaves last years issue of not paying that 1/3 of the tax liability for the 2020 covid related disbursement. 

Disaster Distribution

Go through the Form 1099-R section it will ask about Disasters and Coronavirus distribution.

To enter, edit or delete a form 1099-R -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click the start or update button

Or enter 1099-r in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1099-R

Disaster 1.JPG

Disaster 2.JPG

Disaster 3.JPG

mkp777

Disaster Distribution

It never asked me like that. 

Those images you show, I get the first question, which is; "Did either of you take a disaster distribution at any time between 2018 and 2021?. 

If you answer yes,  you get this:

You'll need to visit the form 1099-R retirement topic. Please visit the retirement topic IRA, 401k, pension plan withdrawals 1099-R in wages and income under the federal taxes section. 

And thats it!!

Thats all it says. It just goes on its merry way. 

I have jabbed and picked around in the section it told me to do and there is NOTHING about a 8915 form or anything that says coronavirus. 

mkp777

Disaster Distribution

And further, NONE OF THIS was on the 2021 turbo tax. I was not asked anything about this. 

It never prompted me so I just went on with it and trusted turbo tax. 

Now I probly owe money to the IRS. 

Disaster Distribution

@mkp777 wrote:

And further, NONE OF THIS was on the 2021 turbo tax. I was not asked anything about this. 

It never prompted me so I just went on with it and trusted turbo tax. 

Now I probly owe money to the IRS. 

If your software is at the latest release then save the tax return.  Close the TurboTax program.  Re-boot your computer.  Start TurboTax again and see if anything in the Form 1099-R section has changed.

If not, then uninstall the software.  Re-install the software.  The updates should upload when you start the TurboTax program and check the 1099-R section again.

mkp777

Disaster Distribution

OK I did all that, 

No help. 

It still does not ask the questions like were posted above. 

It just tells me what it told me before, which I posted above. 

Disaster Distribution

OK...Click on Forms.   When if forms mode see if there is a Form 8915 and any type of Disaster Distribution worksheets listed.  If so, open those forms and then delete them.  Go back to step-by-step and see if the program will take you to the correct screens.

madam_mim

Disaster Distribution

This issue hasn't been resolved and I tried clicking the link to the help article you provided and it goes to an error page.  I am trying to file my 2022 taxes and the box for 1099 disaster distributions is checked NO, but each time I go to file my taxes it states I need the form 8915F to file.  This is very frustrating and has wasted a lot of my time.  Is there a fix for this?  How do I proceed and file?  Thank you. 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Disaster Distribution

Are you reporting the third year of a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?  Or are you wanting to remove the form from your tax return?

If you are reporting the third year of a Qualified Disaster Distribution, you will report 1/3 of the 2020 distribution.  Follow these steps to the screen Did You Take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution:

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click on Wages & Income.
  • Click Edit / Add to the right of IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals.
  • At the screen Here's your 1099-R info, click Continue.
  • Continue to the screen Did You Take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution.
  • Remove all the information from the screen if you want to remove the form from your tax return.

If you are reporting the third year of a Qualified Disaster Distribution, you will report 1/3 of the distribution:

• on lines 11 and 13 for retirement plans (other than IRA's) or
  • on lines 22 and 24 for traditional, SEP, SIMPLE and Roth IRA's.

To be able to electronically file, there is a workaround by @DanaB27 concerning checking the box If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020, check here at the screen Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?  

1. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  2. If the box is checked, uncheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and click Continue.
  3. On the "Which disaster affected you in 2020?" screen I selected the blank entry and click "back
  4. Then recheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and Continue.

Please let us know at @JamesG1 if this worked for you.

@madam_mim 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies