turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My state return came before my federal what does that mean? Federal has always come first and the state return usually a week or two after. Did something go wrong?

How long after state received does federal come

Tax Year Prior to 2020: My state return came before my federal what does that mean? Federal has always come first and the state return usually a week or two after. Did something go wrong?

Dustineb

Did you ever get your fed taxes ?? 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

TurboTax does not get any information about refund status. You must check the status yourself using the IRS refund tracking web site: https://www.irs.gov/refunds

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It's been 2 weeks Monday since I recieved my state...still waiting  on my federal...So frustrating!

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends. 

The IRS issues a lot of refunds within 21 days, but it could take longer. 

IRS processing time and refund status 

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

Also, be aware, the IRS operations are limited during the Covid-19 pandemic.  Attached is a link with more information as to what departments are available to contact at the moment.

IRS operations

damecca01
Returning Member

I called yesterday and spoke with a live agent because mines was saying still processing since April he told me wait a week or two they had just received it June 1 later that day it was in my account so I would definitely call ask plenty questions good luck everyone and GOD BLESS

I filed my 2017 taxes August 14th 2020,  my state refund came in but I have not got my returned refund 

@Ashtonmarie88  You could only file a 2017 return in 2020 by mailing it.  Mailed returns are taking a very long time to by processed by the IRS.

MAILED RETURNS

The IRS has just started to work through millions of mailed returns that have been piling up in trailers during the pandemic. All you can do is wait---nothing is going to show up on the IRS refund site for a 2017 refund---that site only shows information for a refund for a 2019 return.

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue:

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Which state? And dependents?

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

It merely means that the state tax department was processing returns faster than IRS.

They probably aren't as busy yet and was able to get it out faster.

They each have their own processing procedures.

sammangam5783
Returning Member

The state came in but not the federal why???

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

The IRS states that they issue most refunds in less than 21 calendar days from the date the return was accepted by the IRS.  This is in a normal year and is a target only--not a guarantee.   The IRS has had extra work lately distributing the first and second stimulus checks in addition to processing returns.  This might account for your state refund arriving before the federal.

It can take anywhere from a few hours to 3 weeks for the IRS to officially accept your return and then your information should show in the Refund tool within 24 hours of acceptance. 

You can check the status of your refund by going to the IRS Refunds  page. You can click on the Check My Refund Status link or download the IRS2Go app for your mobile device. Wait at least 24 hours after your return has been accepted 

Will my state refund come before my federal refund 

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@Anthony21286 Since this is a public forum, we don't have access to your personal account information. Therefore, we cannot say which of your refunds will come first. If you'd like to track your state refund, you can follow the instructions here: How do I track my state refund?

To track your federal refund, you can use the Where's My Refund? tool.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies