Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ANNUITY

DEMAND TURBOTAX NOT TO DISCONTINUE CD FOR 2024 TAX YEAR

intuit turbotax has made poor decisions in the past that have been reversed, because customers would not stand for it. Discontinuing the  CD version of turbo tax will not be tolerated by many customers and it will cost turbotax more than they plan on saving. I am asking turbotax to reverse this poorly thought out decision to discontinue the CD version and only offering downloads. I personally will not purchase a download and I am sure  they lose many current and future customers, because of this decision. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

@ANNUITY wrote:

I personally will not purchase a download and I am sure  they lose many current and future customers, because of this decision. 

I understand your concern but you have missed a critical point; you won't be able to buy a CD from any other consumer-level income tax preparation software company.

Even H&R Block has discontinued the CD version of their software which is now download only.

As a result, unless you're planning to prepare your tax return online versus using installed software, you're going to be downloading the software (executable file) from some vendor.

Your opinion is noted, the company has already made a decision, and I suspect it is too late to master CDs and get them into stores even if there was a massive wave of complaints.

In case you didn't know, the downloaded program is the exact same software as the CD version.  The downloadable version is not crippled or different in any way. (The online-only version is very different, of course, but that's not what we are talking about.)  The CD is just a delivery system.  And, because the CD is mastered before the tax forms are finalized, even if you buy a CD, you always have to do one or more full downloads to update the software before you can file.  So the only thing that is changing is the method of putting that first, unfinished copy on your computer.  

We also believe (but have not 100% confirmed) that Turbotax boxes will still be sold in stores, like Staples, Costco, and Target.  The box will contain a code for a pre-paid download, rather than a physical CD, but you will still be able to use sales, coupons or other discounts in-store.  

well then you are going to either have to use an online version or use a pro. Others are also no longer offering a CD for 2024

No.  It's the exact same program.  The CD also is a download.  The CD downloads the program.  Now a link downloads the program.  There is nothing really on the CD.  You also always download the updates or the states you need.

I have always had to download th Mac version of the software, whether I bought a "box "from Staples, Target or another source.

chelia

Do not discontinue cd. I will not buy the diwnload

you do realize that all updates which are required come via download.  what's the difference? It may be true that other app providers are also discontinuing CDs.  There are many online apps available.  

I am highly disappointed with the decision as well. I am disgusted with the current system in place and wish to do it like past years. As a long time user of TT, I am not questioning my loyalty and I am in search of other vendors.

@cashpenny  Why do you need the CD?  

For 2024 they are only selling the download, no CDs. And if you have a Mac you need Ventura  13 Or newer

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/tta-system-requirements/ 

Even if you bought the CD before you could use the download method to install it.  I always bought the CD from Costco.  But last year for 2023 I bought the download from Costco online.  Installed it real fast. It was the same as the CD.  Most of the laptops and computers now don't have a CD drive.  And I had to get a new laptop with Windows 10 to run Turbo Tax starting for 2022.

The confusion is that the Online version is NOT the Download program.    The Download program is EXACTLY the same Desktop program as the CD.  You buy it the same way directly from Turbo Tax or in stores like Costco.   When you installed the CD you still had to go online to update it.   It's only the method you use to install it.    Even when I bought the CD I used the download method to install it. 

sslebanon615
Returning Member

I really like the option to purchase Turbo Tax on CD as if computer has a hard drive failure and I need  to replace it, I can just load the CD and move on.

I have been purchasing the CD for Years!

@sslebanon615 wrote:

I really like the option to purchase Turbo Tax on CD as if computer has a hard drive failure and I need  to replace it, I can just load the CD and move on.

You can do the same thing with a download; even more actually. 

Simply download the installation file and burn it to a CD. You could also use a USB flash drive, or any other media (e.g., SD card).

It should also be noted that the download files are kept current whereas the installation file on the CDs is the very first release of the software and not really useable for filing without further updates through January, at least.

Thus, although you could reinstall from the CD, you would still need to update the software prior to filing a return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies