turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

q12345
Returning Member

Cost of new energy efficient, natural gas furnace installed in 2019 on form 5695 is not not allowing any tax break, when I understand the credit was extended for 2019.

Some of the answers to similar questions imply the credit is available for 2019, and other answers say it is not.  It is on the IRS list of available credits.  When entering in TurboTax,  the Home Energy Credit Summary says: we can't get you the home energy credit for 2019.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Cost of new energy efficient, natural gas furnace installed in 2019 on form 5695 is not not allowing any tax break, when I understand the credit was extended for 2019.

This is a non-refundable credit and can not be used if you have no tax liability.

You can check to be sure that is what is happening by viewing your Tax Summary.   Here is how to do that:

1. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen (you may need to click on Continue in the center first).
  2. Click on Tools.
  3. In the box that pops up in the center, click on View Tax Summary.

If you see a 0 for Total Tax, then that is the reason you don't qualify for this particular credit. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
q12345
Returning Member

Thanks, I checked and my Total Tax Line Item has over $7,000 in it.   Is there a problem with the software?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

No, there is no problems or issues with TurboTax and the energy credits.  The credit is available for 2019.   You said your total tax line is over 7K, but that does not mean you are necessarily eligible to take the credit.    Please see the 2nd bullet point below.

There are times when you can't take the credit in the current year:

• Your income is at a level that's not taxed at all.
  • You're getting other tax credits that have reduced your tax owed to zero.

Look at your form 5695 to see how the credit was limited.  What is on line #13 and 14?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies