turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ncage
Returning Member

Converting TurboTax Premier (mac/windows) to TurboTax web?

So i purchased TurboTax premiere from amazon (because i got a great deal for Mac/windows). It came with free State & E-Filing. I haven't used turbotax for years (been using taxact web) but i decided to go with turbotax this year for 2 reasons: I found a great deal on amazon and my taxes are going to be quite a bit harder this year. I noticed after i registered it today and tried to go download the software i seen "Switch to TurboTax Online" at the bottom of the page. I actually much prefer to do them over the web rather than download software that you have to install on your PC. So it looks like i can covert my turbotax (software install) to the web version for free? Is there any negative to doing this? Is it less powerful & i'm assuming i still get State for free & e-file?  Is there no going back after i click the link if i just decide to install the software?

thanks....

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Sorry no.  Not sure what you saw but you can not apply the Desktop CD/Download program purchase to the Online web version.  They are completely separate and different and are priced differently.  You would need to get a refund for the CD and pay for online.  And state is a separate additional charge in online.

Some advantages of the Desktop CD/Download program over the Online version,  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-are-the-advantages-of-the-turbotax-cd...

The Online versions are only good for one return per account.  And you may need to upgrade to a higher version to enter certain things.

All the Desktop versions have the same forms so you can use a lower version.  You just get more help in the higher versions.  You can see and buy the Desktop versions here,  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

And the Desktop program can do unlimited returns and efile 5 Federal for free.

You can see and enter directly into the actual forms.

There is a What-If worksheet.

Basic does not include a free state program and has some other limitations like doesn’t import from It’s Deductible.

Deluxe and above include one free state program download to prepare returns for the same state.  Then each state return is 19.99 to efile (goes up to 24.99 in March).  Or you can print and mail state for free. If you need to also file a state return for a different state it is 39.99 to buy an additional state program.

ncage
Returning Member

turbotax.png

What is that link at the bottom then?

Yeah that looks like to go to the online web version.  Don't know why they have that listed on your download page.  Seems odd.  Maybe if you don't have the system requirements to install the Desktop program.  I'll have to log into my downloads and see.

@xmasbaby0 can you ask around why that would be?  Hate to bother you,  I don't know who to page. 

I have no idea what that "link" could be.   And it does look like a link--did the user click it to see?    A user could not pay Amazon for using online TT, so cannot figure out what the user is seeing.  

But I totally agree--desktop is far better to use than online software--the prices are not going to be the same.  Trying to get a credit from Intuit toward online for software purchased from Amazon would be about the same as taking a Whopper back to McDonald's and asking for a Big Mac.

You are not bothering me at all!  Glad to hear from you!

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@ncage Seriously, I think you are best off in many regards to stick with the desktop software you purchased from Amazon unless your OS cannot support it.  You say you got a "great deal" from Amazon--online Premier + state software is currently priced at $70 + $40 for state software.  And you can  only do ONE return for that.  It is much easier to navigate desktop; desktop has direct access to Forms if you need to look at the actual tax forms; it has a "what if" feature you can use to try out future tax scenarios, etc. etc.

I would not assume (or even hope) that TT would just trade your Amazon desktop Premier for online Premier without wanting you to pay the difference in fees.   But to each his own-- you could always ask....

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies