Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

59Strat
Returning Member

Computer crash lost Turbotax data file

I have used Turbotax Home & Business, desktop version on a Mac since 2008. I thought I had a backup of everything but it turns out I haven't backed up for the last two years. Computer crashed and I lost the last two years' Turbotax data files, 2019 and 2020. 

I was able to recover backups of the original PDF saved returns out of Turbotax.

Reading through forums, I discovered you can start a new tax return and open the previous year's file from the desktop to import the PDF.  Reading more closely (and after trying this-didn't seem to have any info beyond personal) it says this doesn't work with the business version.  Arggh!

1. Is there any way to "reverse engineer" a new 2020 Turbotax data file from this original Turbotax 2020 pdf ?

2. If "no" above, is there a resource where I could find a Turbotax expert/consultant to essentially recreate the Turbotax files I need by reentering the information from the tax returns into Turbotax? In order to retain and carry forward all the data I've been inputting over the years (depreciation schedules, expenses, etc.), not sure whether it makes sense or would be more accurate/helpful to begin from 2018 (the last data file I have backed up) and move forward—or just enter info from the most current years' PDF? 

Thanks for any info...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

No  ... and you will have to recreate the returns yourself.   Re install the 2019 & 2020 programs and then start the 2019 return by transferring in the 2018 info like usual.  Then using the info on the PDF you can reenter everything. 

Carl
Level 15

Since you have a PDF of the 2019 file, I wouldn't bother recreating the .tax2019 file. Just install TTX 2020 and recreate the .tax2020 file. Especially if you need it to import into your 2021 tax return since you've only got 12 days left to e-file it before the IRS shuts down e-filing for the 2021 tax filing season. You'll be able to enter the history manually. For example, if you have a rental property, the program will estimate the prior year's depreciation based on the dates you enter, and you can change that estimated amount if necessary. Usually in this scenario, it's not necessary if you enter the dates "exactly" as they are on the worksheets in the PDF files.

For others reading this thread, now you see why I harp not just on backups, but on hard copy PDF printouts of "EVERYTHING" to include all calculation forms and worksheets. While it's time consuming entering everything again, it's not lost permanently and forever.

59Strat
Returning Member

I won't bore you with how I've been beating myself up this weekend over my own stupidity of not backing this up...  I am under the deadline to file 2021 and that was my reason for asking #2. I would like to find a Turbotax consultant that could enter this manually this week, so that I could import the .tax2020 file this weekend and knock that out.

Are there any resources outside of Turbotax Live where I can look for consultants? I'll look into turbotax live, but not sure if that solution caters to my particular situation. Any "services offered forums" inside or outside the intuit site I could find a legit consultant?  

No.  You need to recreate the 2020 return yourself.  Can you install the 2020 program again and have the License Code to activate it?  It shouldn't be too hard to do.  You can use the Forms Mode to enter directly on the forms from the pdf copy you have.  Unless you can find someone local that knows Turbo Tax to do it for you that you trust.  

wizap
Returning Member

Try some recovery options?

macOS User Guide 

59Strat
Returning Member

I was/am looking for someone trustworthy to do just that - even a cpa (but the pros don't use TT). Looks like I'll be doing the manual input in forms mode as you suggest! It was painful enough the first time! Thanks. 

59Strat
Returning Member

yes, wizap. Came so close too, actually found the .tax2020 file with recovery program, but it was corrupt when I tried to open it. Taking computer to a pro tomorrow for one last go before manual input of data...

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

If you find any .tax2020 files and they won't open you need to update the program.  

After you get the program reinstalled the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW). Enter some basic information, then go to the state tab and download the state program. Then try to open your existing return, go to FILE - OPEN

Or if you found a .tax2020 file did you try to just Transfer it into a new 2021 return?  

59Strat
Returning Member

Hi VolvoGirl,

These are two really good suggestions I hadn't considered. That computer is in getting attempted recovery by a pro - but I'll download Turbotax on my other computer and try after work. Thanks!

59Strat
Returning Member

Hi VolvoGirl,

I tried updating turbotax programs, installing state and all updates - couldn't import or open the .tax files that I was able to recover from my drive—they are corrupted. I'm going to have to go the manual route that you suggested. I began that process and was going to actually start with 2019 (because I have the .tax2018 data file - thought it would be best to include all history, worksheets, depreciation,etc.) and work forward. I'm unable to input anything into the forms fields! I've searched and browsed the forums and am reading that you can't just input data into the forms fields (because a lot of these fields are based on the interview and worksheets, etc.

Is there a thread or tutorial you can point me to on how to specifically recreate a return and enter data into the forms? Is it possible without going through the whole interview process? I contacted TurbotaxLive and they couldn't find any information on whether they would be able to provide this service... 

the desktop app does have forms mode by which you can skip the interview process (step-by-step mode) or you can switch back and forth. in forms mode, you see what looks like the actual forms and you can enter numbers or other data. some lines may be computed so do not override them. That can lead to erroneous results. the more you enter the more that can be transferred to the next year.  the 1040 itself comes from other entries on other forms. regardless of the mode used, other than the data transferred it's like preparing the returns from scratch.  

say you have 3 - 1099-int for 2018. you could use a dummy name and do the math to enter just the total in one 1099-int rather than creating 3. but then when you do 2020 only that one 1099- will transfer. the issue I see is making sure 2019 and 2020 reflect what was filed so that 2021 is correct. 

you can get actual copies of the tax returns you filed for 2019 and 2020 by filing form 4506 with the IRS (no state data) theres a fee of $43 per return  or you can get transcripts online after registering or requesting them with form 4506-T - free

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-4506 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf 

if you prepared  '19 and '20 on your desktop, there is a backup file that starts with a ~. it's in the same folder as the .taxXXXX file.

it might not be corrupt. if you still have the desktop app for that year installed, it should open by double-clicking on it. then you can save it under some other name.  

59Strat
Returning Member

I am using the desktop app. - Home and Business.  I've decided that since I have to essentially enter info from "scratch" I'm going to "recreate" the 2020 tax return (not start back in 2019 and move forward). 

The original 2020 data file and back up file are lost, (corrupt and overwritten). I have the original Turbotax return that was saved out of TurboTax as a PDF - I don't believe IRS transcripts would have any more information than what is saved here.

I opened Turbotax 2020 and imported the 2019 PDF, just to transfer the basic personal info. I have the 2020 pdf opened on my left and turbotax2020 on my right. When I switch to forms mode and try to enter, for example, Line 1, W2 wages - I am unable to enter that number into the field. I'm also unable to enter, for example, dependent information, first name, last name, soc. etc. 

I'm trying to figure out if there is a strategy or method to knowing what can be filled in in forms, whether I have to bounce back and forth between interview or find worksheets in forms that will populate other fields? Or do I just have to go through the whole interview process and then double check all the figures in form fields to make sure they match my existing return? What happens when I get to Form 4562, Schd C Depreciation and Amortization report - can I copy and paste line by line or somehow enter this info into forms?

Carl
Level 15

I would suggest you do what you can in step-by-step mode. Then you can switch to forms view when done to do the fine checking.

Another option too. If you can take the hard drive out of the old computer and install it as a secondary drive in the new computer, then you should be able to transfer over your tax files from the old hard drive, to the documents\turbotax folder on the new setup. While you're at it, you can also copy over your docuements, pictures, music, and any other files from that hard drive.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies