Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

jp12345
Returning Member

Coinbase csv file not compatible on turbotax? No Headers Found In This File error?

Case0317, you have a compatibility issue that you don't see yet...

Coinbase is the problem... it does NOT export the file as TurboTax is looking for...

Furthermore, Coinbase-Regular does NOT see Coinbase-PRO transactions for holdings...

Even more of an issue, Coinbase-Regular and Coinbase-PRO export with completely different headers... ;(

Below are the EXACT Headers on both downloads...

- NONE of these headers have what TurboTax is looking for ;(

Coinbase-Regular Headers:

[  Timestamp, Transaction Type, Asset, Quantity Transacted, USD Spot Price at Transaction, USD Subtotal, USD Total (inclusive of fees), USD Fees, Notes   ]

Coinbase-PRO Headers:

[  portfolio, trade id, product, side, created at, size, size unit, price, fee, total, price/fee/total unit   ]

This is a problem, at this point every Coinbase regular/pro user can NOT directly use TurboTax to process their transactions...

I think you should send this up the chain and have your team review this issue/concern.

Thanks.

jp12345
Returning Member

Coinbase csv file not compatible on turbotax? No Headers Found In This File error?

NashayLO, you have a compatibility issue that you don't see yet...

Coinbase is the problem... it does NOT export the file as TurboTax is looking for...

Furthermore, Coinbase-Regular does NOT see Coinbase-PRO transactions for holdings...

Even more of an issue, Coinbase-Regular and Coinbase-PRO export with completely different headers... ;(

Below are the EXACT Headers on both downloads...

- NONE of these headers have what TurboTax is looking for ;(

Coinbase-Regular Headers:

[  Timestamp, Transaction Type, Asset, Quantity Transacted, USD Spot Price at Transaction, USD Subtotal, USD Total (inclusive of fees), USD Fees, Notes   ]

Coinbase-PRO Headers:

[  portfolio, trade id, product, side, created at, size, size unit, price, fee, total, price/fee/total unit   ]

This is a problem, at this point every Coinbase regular/pro user can NOT directly use TurboTax to process their transactions...

I think you should send this up the chain and have your team review this issue/concern.

Thanks.

leston

This is a tax company, They have had months to prepare for the new headers.  Same incompetence every dang year. Never gets better. 

leston

Is there an ETA on this fix?  You would think intuit would hire a developer to fix it before tax season started. 

I've seen NashayLO answer with this same answer... and it is absolutely erroneous.

This is an issue with TurboTax's software for 2020. 

Ironically, Coinbase even referring over to TurboTax. 

Fix your software and stop spamming out of date info.

DanielK21

Dear Turbotax:

Coinbase CSV import does not work due to formatting.  Please fix this so I can do my taxes.

Sincerely,

Loyal Customer (at least for the time being)

The mentioned solutions no longer work.

Things I have found:

Coinbase partnered with TurboTax to save you $15 - "We’ve partnered with TurboTax to save you $15 on TurboTax Premier, which easily handles cryptocurrency gains/losses."  They are not doing anything to usably, actually, track your transactions.

Coinbase is only pushing registration at CoinTracker  - "For the 2020 tax year, Coinbase customers can get a discount to TurboTax products using this link or take advantage of CoinTracker to determine their gains/losses."  - Since you have to connect the CoinTracker account to your CoinBase account it would be a sure bet that CoinBase is getting a hefty "Referral Fee" for you signing up at CoinTracker as the "Plans" are incredibly expensive for really nothing more than downloading your transactions. But, of course, this takes the heat off of CoinBase as they will say they have nothing to do with the costs of getting your information.

Just adding my name to the list of users who are trying to upload their .csv doc from coinbase only to get an error message. 

Please fix this issue so I can get on with filing my taxes. 

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@thelandofmatt Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for help accessing your tax forms in Coinbase:

How do I get a CSV file from Coinbase?

Thank you for sharing this information. It is our desire to find a resolution for you and others that might be having a similar experience in the program. We will work with you towards a resolution to file your return accurately.

If you need further assistance please reach out to TurboTax Customer Care. 

The best and most efficient way for you to connect with the right person to get the help you need is to select the version you are using below. Use the web form and type your question or a keyword.  You will get an appropriate phone number for your issue. (You will not get a phone number if you use the link outside of operating hours.) We're open daily from 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM PT.

{Edited 2/6/21 10::00pm}

@Cass0317 - Please stop spamming the same out of date help file. As an employee expert, please take 30 seconds to read the problem described.

As others have listed, in great detail, TurboTax does not recognize the headers in the Coinbase CSV file. 
This is an issue with the TurboTax software for this year and needs to be remedied. As others pointed out- what’s the purpose of this partnership if TurboTax cannot import the files from its “partner,” Coinbase. 

This is pathetic. I pay TurboTax instead of filing on my own or using free software because in the past they've made my crypto transactions so easy to report. Now TurboTax and Coinbase are advertising each other as partners but the integration is entirely broken!? And the best your reps can do is spam irrelevant links? You asked me for a survey on my experience and when I gave bad marks, it told me the survey was invalid and crashed. I can't even tell you how broken you are!? Absolutely pathetic, TurboTax. Fix this. Now.

I've been trying the csv formats. Here's an example csv file accepted by TurboTax.

However, you need to calculate the purchase date and cost by yourself, which is not an easy task if you don't know how to program.

"Currency Name","Purchase Date","Cost Basis","Date sold","Proceeds"

"BTC", "10/10/2010", 500, "10/10/2020", 1000

jakeerton

Same issue, a disconnect on the headers provided by Coinbase to Turbo.  Patience, Im sure they'll reformat.

jakeerton

Patience, exactly.  Have some faith

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies