turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What can i do if someone without permission claimed me on their taxes? How do i fix that?

It is too late this year to correct this issue since you cannot efile a return ... so next January you will need to file a return to get the stimulus payment.   Filing a form 14039 now is a good idea. 

What can i do if someone without permission claimed me on their taxes? How do i fix that?

@Rosie3784

If your Social Security number is compromised and you know or suspect you are a victim of tax-related identity theft, take these additional steps:

• Respond immediately to any IRS notice; call the number provided.
  • Complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit. Then print and mail or fax according to the instructions. 
  • Continue to pay your taxes and file your tax return, even if you must do so by paper.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

e-filing and even mail in filing for 2020 will probably not be open until late in January 2021 maybe not even until early February. 

So sorry to hear that this happened to you as well. Sadly I even went as far as speaking to representatives from my local government and unfortunately there is NOTHING that can be done this year. The ONLY recourse we have at this time is to wait it out, hope that the issue gets resolved (make sure you file an identity/fraud case with both the IRS and SSA) and you can claim the stimulus payment on next years taxes. Of course if you get different information or another avenue of recourse for those of us that had our stimulus payments stolen, please share. Thank you and good luck. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

was it your parents?  we have no info about you to determine if someone else could claim you.   however, no one could legally claim you if you are over 24 as of 12/31/2019 and gross income for 2019 over $4200. 

if you shouldn't have been claimed and think you are the victim of identity theft file form 14039 with the IRS.

additional steps to take if you think you are a victim.

Organization What to Do

Credit Agencies
1) Report the identity theft to the fraud department of one of the following reporting agencies as soon as possible. They must notify the other two agencies.
• Equifax: equifax.com
• Experian: experian.com
• TransUnion: transunion.com
2) Request a copy of your credit report and request that only the last
four digits of your Social Security number be placed on the report.
3) Close accounts that you think have been compromised or opened
fraudulently.
4) Inform the credit bureaus and the credit issuers (in writing) of any
fraudulent accounts and incorrect information.
5) Obtain replacement credit cards with new, secure account numbers
and destroy any old cards.
6) Notify those who have received your credit report in the last six
months to alert them to any disputed, fraudulent or incorrect information.
7) Confirm that an extended fraud alert (seven years) is placed on your
credit report.

Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
1) Report the crime to the FTC to establish an Identity Theft Affidavit.
Identity Theft Victim’s Complaint and Affidavit.

Local Police
1)Report the crime to your local police or sheriff’s department. Make
sure to prompt as much documented evidence as possible.
2)Verify that the report lists the fraudulent accounts and keep a copy
of the report.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
1) Contact the IRS to report the theft. This will alert them to any claim
for refund or other activity on your account. File IRS Form 14039,
Identify Theft Affidavit.

State Tax Agency
1) Contact your state tax agency to report the theft. Some agencies
may require a police report and/or the IRS affidavit.

Other Agencies and Organizations
1) U.S. mail fraud: Contact your local postal inspector.
• Online: postalinspectors.uspis.gov
• Phone: 800.275.8777
2) Social Security number misuse — non-IRS issues:
-Check your earnings record to make sure no one is using your SSN
to obtain work. Call your local Social Security Administration (SSA)
office if something looks inaccurate.
-Contact the SSA Inspector General to report Social Security benefit
fraud, employment fraud, or welfare fraud.
• Online reporting resources:
- socialsecurity.gov/oig
- Fraud Reporting Form
• SSA fraud hotline: 800.269.0271

My ex girlfriend claimed me as a dependent on her 2019 taxes unbeknownst to me.

Thing is, we split up in early February 2019, and I moved two hours away from where she was...

I didn’t find out that she claimed me until I tried to apply for the first stimulus but then was denied because someone had claimed me.

I messaged my ex and asked her if she had claimed me, to which she said that she did but it was an accident because she thought that even if I lived with her for only just one month out of the year, she could claim me for that whole year (I even have fb messages with her admitting this) and that she filled out an amendment (this was earlier this year supposedly, before the first stimulus)

Not only have I tried reapplying every month in hopes that the IRS straightened everything out via the non filers tool( and get an error every time) but when I called the IRS (a handful of times), no one there had a straight answer as to how the problem could be fixed so I could get my stimulus... (I even sent them multiple emails, to which I’ve gotten no reply)

Someone at the IRS said I should receive the stimulus with my 2020 taxes, someone else said that even though I was wrongfully claimed in 2019, the damage has been done and they could do nothing to help me.

(In 2017, I worked while she was in school. In 2018, I went to school after she graduated and then she started work. The last time I have filed taxes was in 2017. At that time, i never checked the box where I could be a dependent on someone else’s taxes.

In 2018, she was the only one who filed taxes, claiming me as a dependent because we lived together and I was in school full time while she worked.

In early 2019, around the beginning of February, I moved out and moved on my own. The whole year of 2019, I should not have been claimed.

I even have messages of her confirming that I moved out in early 2019 and that she made a mistake but filled out an amendment and mailed it in (even though I have not received anything from the IRS

Am I not eligible to receive my first or even second stimulus just because of the mistake my ex made?

How would I fix this in order to receive them?

If I’m able to get both checks when I file my 2020 taxes, why is there a requirement that I should not be claimed in 2019 instead of 2020? 

Don't worry about the past.  The first Stimulus Check is really based on your 2020 return we are filing in 2021.  So any amount you already got will be reconciled on your 2020 return line 30.  If you didn't get a Stimulus Check (and qualify) or you qualify for more it will be added to your 2020 return.  But the good news is if they paid you too much they won't take it back.

When you go through the federal review tab it will ask how much you got if any.  Or to enter your stimulus payment in TurboTax, type "stimulus" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to stimulus."

I know who used me on her taxes and she never had my permission, she was my payee at one time for my SSI, she hasn't been for a long time. With that being said she had all my personal information because she was my payee. I'm very upset about it because I didn't get either of my stimulus checks, I don't make enough on SSI to have to file taxes so I don't. My question is who should I get ahold of to take care of this, she did this knowing it was illegal??

Your ONLY option is to file a 2020 return when it opens at the end of the month ... if it gets rejected then your ONLY option is to mail in the return.  

If you qualify  AND   if you wait until mid January  THEN you can use one of  the 10 IRS FREE FILE options to file a fed & state return for free ... but you must be patient.    https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

IRS Free File: Closed until January 2021

IRS Free File is closed for the 2020 tax season. Check back in January for Filing Season 2021 opening details.

For Filing Season 2021, you must make $72,000 or below to use one of the 10  IRS Free File partner offers.

If you know or suspect who it is then you need to contact both the IRS and SSA and file a fraud case. I did not get my stimulus check and was constantly told its because someone used my SSN, then was told someone claimed me on their taxes. The only person that could have done that was my X-wife so I filed fraud cases and named her as a "suspect". I was then told constantly that my only option at this point was to claim it next year. I had settled in the fact that there was nothing else I could do and planned to wait until next year, or this year lol. And to my extreme surprise several months later (November to be exact) I got my stimulus check deposited into my account. SO my advice is to call both SSA and IRS and open the fraud cases against that person. Good luck. 

First stimulus checks stopped being issued 12/31/2020  and the second one will stop 1/15/21  so if by the time the IRS opens for efiling ( expected about 1/27/21) then the only way to get the missing stimulus money will be to file the 2020 tax return.   

How do I do that?

@Biggsexxie50  wrote:

How do I do that?

Do What?  You have tagged onto an old post that has multiple questions and answers, some very dated.

How to file a 2020 return ?    Either pick a DIY income tax program and follow the interview instructions,  get the paper forms to manually complete it  OR  use one of the IRS FREE FILE options when they become available ...

If you qualify  AND   if you wait until mid January  THEN you can use one of  the 10 IRS FREE FILE options to file a fed & state return for free ... but you must be patient.    https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

IRS Free File: Closed until January 2021

IRS Free File is closed for the 2020 tax season. Check back in January for Filing Season 2021 opening details.

For Filing Season 2021, you must make $72,000 or below to use one of the 10  IRS Free File partner offers.

Thank you so much for your answer, I will be getting on the phone to both of them. Again thank you for your help, I googled it and they kept saying file my own taxes, I'm on SSI I don't come close to making enough to be worth it to file. I'm going to file a fraud case with both. Do you know if your ex got in trouble? I thought that a federal offense was a big deal.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies