Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

"Check This Entry" is stuck in loop when asking for Date Acquired field in 1099-B.

I finally had 1 helpful rep (after about 10 wrong answers). His advice worked for me.

Just delete the entire 1099 upload. Then enter in the summary values (Short-Term Box A' and B, Long-term Box A's and B's and the Unknowns). Once you're done it will correct the error and you should be able to file. I was told to mail in form 8453 as a supplement to your efile but the irs processed my return without it.

For some reason if you don't enter the summaries the software starts entering incorrect values on Part I,  Line 1b of the Schedule D. By just entering the totals it applies the correct deduction (if you're eligible) in Part II, Line 21 and the appropriate values in Part I, Lines 1b and 2.

"Check This Entry" is stuck in loop when asking for Date Acquired field in 1099-B.

This is still an issue for my import from fidelity back in March

Angry to say, as of 5/17/2021 12:30 am, this issue is NOT resolved, how does Turbotax become accountable? This is SERIOUS error to cause distress unnecessarily.  My brokerage 1099 's were imported and I checked line by line, they were correct, but when it got to final check stage it said I'm missing purchase dates and cost basis, what a load of c--p.  AND it didn't allow me to manually enter at that final stage, screen froze forever. And I'm forced to reload, same thing, i've been sitting here all night being stuck in the final stage.  Turbotax is supposed to be saving me time. If these recurring system issues aren't even fixed after months of complaining, why bother to use them next year. I'm paying self employment premium service in TT, but better off hiring a CPA, just a couple hundred $ more but at least I won't stay up all night trying to make sense of how TT failed to debug such common issues complained here.  Worst of all, I already paid for the filing fee, now I 'm stuck in a stupid loop.

Having the same issue. And each page takes several minutes to load. Completely unacceptable. Trash software.

Definitely my last year using Turbo Trash.

neellohit

SAME HERE - VERY FRUSTRATING

LK58

I filed for an extension figuring the problem would be resolved by now, but it persists. 

Delete the import and use the summary entry option instead ... you will only need a max of 6 entries that way.

How do I enter a large number of stock transactions in TurboTax Online?

TurboTax Online is equipped to handle around 500 individual transactions (give or take) per brokerage account before performance starts to deteriorate.

If you need to enter a bunch of stock transactions with a total sales volume of less than $10,000,000 (ten million), you can enter a summary for each sales category. Instructions follow.

Another alternative is to switch to the TurboTax CD/Download software which handles around 2,000 individual transactions per brokerage.

How to enter a summary in lieu of individual transactions

Your brokerage statements should include a summary of your transactions, grouped by sales category, for example "Box A short-term covered" or "Box D long-term covered". You'll enter the summary info instead of each individual transaction.

1. Open your return in TurboTax Online (if it's not already open) and search for stock sales in the upper-right corner.
  2. Click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to both Did you sell any investments? and Did you get a 1099-B?
    • If you land on Here's the investment sales info we have so far, select Add More Sales. Then answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-B?
  4. On the Choose Your Bank or Brokerage import screen, select I'll type it in myself.
  5. Select or enter your brokerage on the next screen and continue.
  6. On the following screen (Tell us about...) select the second option, I'll enter a summary.
  7. On the same screen, enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Done.
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter additional sales or to view a summary.

When you are done entering all your sales transactions, you'll eventually come to the Here's the investment sales info we have so far screen. Here you can edit, delete, or enter more sales.

Related Information:         

LK58

That worked.  Thank you, Critter-3!  

stella900
Returning Member

Stuck in loop too. I guess I have to wait. Thank you.

Thank you @Critter-3   you are a life saver. I was facing a similar issue with "too many transactions" when importing the data to the state return level.  Entering the summary yearly totals worked perfectly and I was able to e-file my return after hours of fighting with the imported brokerage statements and going through infinite loops of form validation.  

Tgates2772
Returning Member

Same! Fix this Turbotax!!!!

stella900
Returning Member

I agree . . it's not just a Robinhood problem.  Pershing LLC / T Rowe transactions get caught in an infinite loop.

JillS56
Expert Alumni

Instead of trying to fix it through the "Check this Entry" go back to the screen where you entered the 1099-B.   Double-check the transaction.   You can do one of two things or try one and if it does not work, try the next.

First, re-enter the acquisition date.   If you have an actual date in the box, try using "various" instead.   You can use "various" for the acquisition date.

If this does not correct the problem, then go back into the entry and delete the entry for this transaction.  Then go back through and re-enter the transaction.   

Hopefully, one of these two workarounds works to fix the loop that you are in.  

I'm trying to get in contact with them too and I refuse to type all that line by line. I have over 800 transactions and I've done my part by uploading it so IDK what more they want me to do.

Check entry asks for confirmation. All info is correct. Reverts to same question over and over. Will not allow filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies