Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"Check This Entry" is stuck in loop when asking for Date Acquired field in 1099-B.

When asked to review errors on federal return, I'm prompted with a "Check This Entry" page that asks me to fill in the Date Acquired field for the sale of an asset on the 1099-B form (the entry is the last of many on the 1099). After entering and selecting "Continue", the same page populates for the same asset transaction again asking to fill in the Date Acquired field. Viewing the specific line item shows that the field is filled in and deleting the transaction results in the same error except it prompts for the field for the next to last transaction in the series reported on the broker's 1099-B.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

80 Replies
richkamo
Returning Member

"Check This Entry" is stuck in loop when asking for Date Acquired field in 1099-B.

replying to bump this thread as I am having the exact same issue

Same issue. I spoke with TurboTax support and they stated that it was a known issue with "Robinhood" and that it should be resolved on or before the February 24. They stated that there will likely be a page that addresses when the problem is solved, although I am unable to find an official page acknowledging the issue at this time. Without this information I was told to just keep trying until the issue was no longer happening.

richkamo
Returning Member

Got mine to file! 

With mine, I was getting this error with all transactions that were automatically imported from M1 Finance. To fix it, I removed the automatically imported M1 Finance info completely, and re-entered the information manually. BUT - instead of entering in each sale one by one, I chose to enter sales totals, which was just 1 line on my 1099-B. This ended up allowing me to report the same amount of gains/losses, without the line-by-line details that were causing the issue. When I entered the sales totals amount (proceeds & cost basis totals), it did not require me to enter any dates acquired. After doing this I was able to get it to pass the Federal Review and allow me to file. Hope this helps others.

It's definitely not isolated to Robinhood. My problem was with a different brokerage. 

I did get it working. My guess is that this issue arises when you have a large number of transactions. I had to repeatedly ask the Chrome browser to "Wait" while it loaded the form from the 1099-B. Once it finally loaded, I let the page site idle for some time before pressing continue. Eventually it got itself out of the loop. Patience appears to be key with this...

It finally took my date entry and moved on as well. Seems they may have resolved the issue.

sjdunfee
Returning Member

This is not resolved. I continue to have the same issue. I do have about 700 transactions in this 1099-B and about 800 in another. So it could be a size issue but I know there are people filing with much more than this.

I'm also getting the same issue, is there a fix on the Turbotax side? Or do I need to group all my purchases/sales into one like someone else in this thread recommended?

Mine has been stuck all morning.  The dial isn't even spinning.  Not sure what to do here....

Me too. So I opted for manual entry. There are a few options to wade through, but only a few figures are needed. Worked well then. I deleted my initial entry first.

Same issue here. Nothing happens by waiting and pressing Continue button. Comeback to the same page. Talked with two experts but they could not help. They are aware of the issue. Time to move on to H&R. 

I checked it carefully. It appears that the value I enter into the "Date Acquired" cell is not registering into the form cell number like this (**** is the cell number) (TDACQ****). However, the 1099-B form is filled out correctly.   

same issue here but with Webull. Come on Intuit! I did call them and they said it will be fixed at some point. sigh

okay, I got mine to work. here is the deal. Basically Intuit's "magic" import is definitely NOT magic. The error message is mostly wrong. For me it just picked my last entry and said the Date Acquired field was missing, which it was not for that entry. But what I realized is that for ALL my entries with a DATE Acquired of "VARIOUS", either the date was missing, or the date was completely wrong.

I went through all my entries that have "VARIOUS" for the acquired date and manually fixed them. Many of them had a missing date and many had a wrong date that was sometimes even after the Sold Date, which obviously makes no sense. Luckily, I only have three pages of entries. Probably will take forever, if you have way more. Reimporting, might work but I don't dare try that since I already got it working.

Good luck and What The Heck Intuit!?

And for anyone tempted to just combine all your sales like someone mentioned, you can't do that if you have "Wash Sale Loss Disallowed" sales.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies