Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Changing my dependent status on my return

@yoelyohnson It sounds like you didn't owe any tax in 2019.  Why are you amending?

If you want stimulus payments, just file a 2020 return as a non-dependent and you will get the first and second stimulus payments as a Recovery Rebate Credit on your return.

The Third Stimulus Payment  will come to you directly from the IRS.

Click this link for more info on Do I Need to Amend?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@MarilynG1 thanks for your reply.  

My reasoning behind amending is that I filed for recovery rebate credit on my 2020 return and it has been more than 21 days since I filed.   I filed on Feb 20 and I cannot contact the IRS and so I thought it must be the error on my 2019 return keeping me from getting the stimulus and tax return for 2020.   If what you say is true, that is great because I did file as non-dependent for 2020.   When is the latest I can expect a refund? Thanks for your help. 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@yoelyohnson It is true that your stimulus payment will be based on your filing status in 2020. You return is probably taking longer than normal to process since you filed for the recovery rebate credit, to get the 1st and 2nd stimulus checks that you didn't receive. It is hard to say how long it may take to process your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Ureal4410

My daughter is no longer a full time student. How do I take her off my claim 

@Ureal4410 You have not provided any other details about your daughter.   Are you asking how to remove a dependent from a return that you have not yet filed?   If so, you can remove her in My Info before you file.

If you already filed your 2020 return and need to remove your daughter as a dependent then AFTER the return has been fully processed you can amend the return and remove her as a dependent in My Info.

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3113432-who-can-i-claim-as-my-dependent  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

In the personal info section, click on "You & Your Family".  On the next screen, click EDIT next to the dependent you want to delete.  On the next screen, click Delete.

A frequently asked question, in this forum, is: "Can I claim my child the year they graduate from college?"  The answer is maybe.

Graduation year 

If he/she was a student (under 24) for at least 5 months and lived with you for more than half the year, and did not provide more than 1/2 his own support for the whole year, you can still claim him. Be sure he knows you're claiming him, so he doesn't claim himself. He can only be claimed once. But, he can "file taxes" without claiming his own exemption.

The real question is who should be claiming him in this "transition" year to adulthood. You two have to agree on who is going to claim his exemption. Each should do their taxes both ways and see which way the family comes out best.  Even then, you have to meet the rules. The rule is that a child of a taxpayer can still be a “Qualifying Child” dependent, regardless of  his income, if:

1. he is a full time student under 24 for at least 5 calendar months of the year (graduating in May usually means you meet the 5 month rule)
  2. he did not provide more than 1/2 his own support  (scholarships are considered 3rd party support and not support provided by the student). 
  3. lived with the parent (including time away at school) for more than half the year

So, it usually hinges on  "Did he provide more than 1/2 his own support in 2020.

The support value of the home you provided is the fair market rental value of the home plus utilities & other expenses divided by the number of occupants. IRS Publication 501 on page 20 has a worksheet that can be used to help with the support calculation. See: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf  (page 15)

If he has already filed one way, he can file an amended return, going the other way.

Romonia12

My mother can claim me as a dependant. How to fix it

Hal_Al
Level 15

@Romonia12  What needs Fixing?  Her return? Your return? She already filed and now you can't? (see below).

There is a rule that says IF somebody else CAN claim him as a dependent, he is not allowed to claim himself. If he has sufficient income (usually more than $12,550), he can & should still file taxes. In TurboTax, he indicates that somebody else can claim him as a dependent, at the personal information section.  TT will check that box on form 1040.

If someone else claimed you, as a dependent,  inappropriately, and if they file first, your return will be rejected if e-filed. You would then need to file a return on paper, claiming yourself, if appropriate. The IRS will process your return and send you your refund, in the normal time. Shortly (up to a year) thereafter, you’ll receive a letter from the IRS, stating that your exemption was claimed on another return. It will tell you that if you made a mistake to file an amended return and if you didn't make a mistake to do nothing. The other party will get the same letter you did. If one of you doesn't file an amended return, unclaiming the exemption, the next letter, from the IRS, will require you to provide proof. Be sure to reply in a timely manner.

Winner gets the tax benefits; loser gets to pay the IRS back with penalties and interest.

My child initially stated that "nobody else could claim her as a dependent" (my mistake). Then as I was preparing my return I realized that I could, and I did. When I e-filed my return it was predictably rejected. She then filed an amended return correcting her info (stating that someone else can claim her as a dependent), and I filed an extension. 6 months later (!!), September 30,  the "where is my amended return" website finally said that her account has been "adjusted" (but not "completed"). I tried e-filing the same day but my return was again rejected with the same description.

Question: will I be eventually be able to e-file after the IRS data machinery does its work or do I have no choice but file a paper return?

I was thinking of giving the IRS another week and trying to e-file again, and if it is rejected again, then file on paper.

PS I find it a bit ironic that the IRS cashed her check for difference in tax due promptly but then took 6 months to process the amended return, keeping me in limbo.

@mk1380 Unfortunately you will have to print and mail your 2021 federal tax return.  The IRS database will not change to accept your 2021 e-filed tax return even if they process and complete her amended 2021 tax  return.

Sadly if you posted this situation when you first found out about it we could have saved you a lot of time waiting for your paper return to be processed. We would have told you to mail in your return immediately and not to wait for her amended return to be processed. Now all you can do is paper file the return and wait approximately 6 to 10 months for it to be processed. Your other option is to remove the child from your return, e-file the return, then amend the return to put the child back and mail in the amended return. Depending on how much a difference the child makes to your return and how long you're willing to wait for a refund will dictate which choice you make.

How do you amend a return to indicate you are a dependent?  Instruction to "change personal information" doesn't seem to have a corresponding option on the 1040x

Where on the 1040X is that option?

Hal_Al
Level 15

You attach a copy of the revised form 1040 with that box checked.  In the explanation section of form 1040X you indicate that you made that change. 

I would like to cancel my w2 refund because I haven't received my other two w2 forms so I have made a mistake by submitting one can it be cancel so as soon when I get the other w2 I can  fill them  all together 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies