Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Cannot save tax file

I called TTX customer support. After a long wait, I got a guy answered. But he said he could not help and I needed to call Amazon since I bought it there.

Helio

Cannot save tax file

Launch TT 

Check for updates

Start processing your return

** In most cases the software is not up to date

marte1

Cannot save tax file

I just received my CD with Turbotax for 2021. However, I have not been able to save the file after I downloaded the information from my 2020 income tax return? I tried both without and with encryption and could not save the new data file in either manner? Please advise how to save the tax file as I am working on it?

Thanks, Dennis M. @ [email address removed] 

Cannot save tax file

@marte1 

First do NOT post personal info on the PUBLIC forum where scammers lurk looking for easy prey to exploit.

Next ... did you read the posts in this thread before yours ?   Did the settings issue for WIN not solve your issue ?    If not contact TT support for other suggestions.

dnww
Level 1

Cannot save tax file

This worked!  Thank you

garyewy

Cannot save tax file

i get message cannot save file file is locked

how do i unlock file

Carl
Level 15

Cannot save tax file

This is a "MICROSOFT" default setting that has absolutely nothing to do with TurboTax. You need to make some changes in Controlled Folder Access.

Click the start button and above that button click the settings icon, which is the little gear wheel, to open the settings applet.

Scroll to the bottom and click the Update & security applet.

On the left, select Windows Security

Under “Protection Areas” click Virus and threat protection.

Under “Virus & Threat Protection Settings” click Manage Settings.

Scroll down to “Controlled Folder Access” and select Manage Controlled Folder Access

If necessary, turn ON controlled folder access. Then under that switch select “Allow an app through controlled folder access.”

Click Add An Allowed App, then select Recently blocked apps.

Now select TurboTax 2021 and work your way out of everything back to the desktop.

That should do it.

Cannot save tax file

This solution works as posted.  Intuit needs to clean up this list but NOT remove this solution.  It will probably be needed each year by all that are using MS One Drive on Windows 10.

Cannot save tax file

This really ought to be pinned somewhere so that people can find it easier.

Cannot save tax file

Just installed TT2021. Cannot save on my laptop. Never had this problem before?

Carl
Level 15

Cannot save tax file

Scroll a few posts up in this thread and read my response which has the solution that will most likely work. If it doesn't work, then we'll deal with it further.

Cannot save tax file

Your solution did work.  I'm just surprised that Turbotax can't capture this error and suggest a solution.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Cannot save tax file

@SteveB_LB

If you have exhausted the above solutions, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Cannot save tax file

I'm just surprised that Turbotax can't capture this error and suggest a solution.

Most likely because it's not an error per-se. It's a windows issue, and it's by MicroSoft design.

Cannot save tax file

This worked perfectly. This is a much better solution than turning off CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS slider.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies